Re: [dtn-security] Updated SBSP Document - BCB and BIB

"Birrane, Edward J." <Edward.Birrane@jhuapl.edu> Tue, 03 June 2014 19:35 UTC

From: "Birrane, Edward J." <Edward.Birrane@jhuapl.edu>
To: "dtn-security@irtf.org" <dtn-security@irtf.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 15:35:31 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [dtn-security] Updated SBSP Document - BCB and BIB

- The ciphersuite parameters for the BCB can list an (offset,length) 2-tuple to identify what parts of the security-target are encrypted. When omitted, the implication is that the entire data portion of the security-target is encrypted.  Otherwise, it is just the offset-length portion.

- Inspection of the "Bundle is a fragment" flag will let any arbitrary BPA understand whether a BCB or BIB can be added. Adding BCBs and BIBs to a fragment can result in a challenging re-assembly scenario involving duplicate security-targets which we should just completely avoid.

- I agree that the BCB should only be present in one of the fragments. We should update the spec to reflect this.

-Ed

---
Ed Birrane
Principal Professional Staff, Space Department
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory
(W) 443-778-7423 / (F) 443-228-3839