[dtn-security] Re(2): Implementing Security Destinations in DTN2

Peter Lovell <plovell@mac.com> Sun, 23 September 2012 01:22 UTC

From: Peter Lovell <plovell@mac.com>
To: ahennes1@math.umd.edu, Scott Burleigh <scott.c.burleigh@jpl.nasa.gov>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 21:22:12 -0400
Cc: dtn-security@irtf.org
Subject: [dtn-security] Re(2): Implementing Security Destinations in DTN2

Hi Scott and Angela,

I said some messages ago that I hadn't thought about this too much but expected it to "just work".

I've thought about it some more, and the more I do, the less attractive it is. The scenario I had in mind with my earlier comment is a suitable one but unfortunately it's about the only one.

Let me first set some context to help my description. Assume we have a DTN

  S  --  GA  -- I1  --  I2  --  GB  --  D
                    \        /          |
                     \- I3  --  GC  --  E

S and D are source and destination on controlled-access networks
E is a node on another controlled-access network, with a slow link to D
GA, GB and GC are gateway devices between those networks and an open network
I1, I2 and I3 are intermediate nodes in the open network

Assume also that there may be alternate, but similar, paths between S and D.

If GA's security rules require traffic to D to be protected across the open network, it will encrypt it using PCB with GB as security-dest. It will use GB as security-dest, rather than D, because it doesn't want the keys to be distributed any more widely than necessary. I realize that cool key-distribution schemes can ameliorate this problem but I'm imagining this to be a network subject to delays and/or bandwidth constraints, so GA and GB have been established with paired keys. GA also has a GA-GC keypair for sending bundles to E.

In this scenario, the bundle from S, gatewayed though GA must be sent via GB so it can be decrypted there and sent on its way. If node I1 finds that node I2 is slow/down/whatever, it might decide to route the bundle through I3. I3 does not know the details of the controlled-access networks but knows that GC can get it to D. So I3 sends it that way and the bundle arrives at D, still encrypted.

A good solution for this problem is for GA to specify GB as the [temporary] bundle-dest so that I1/I2/I3 will be forced to route it there. This obviously requires that GA save the real bundle-dest somewhere TBD so that GB can restore it. This will work even in the case of super-encryption, as the PCB nesting rules force the push/pop operations to be match correctly. So the idea works well for this case.

Thinking now about PIB, it seems to me that the public key needed to verify the bundle will not be very secret. In fact, I have yet to be convinced of any utility at all for a specific security-dest in the case of PIB. Any intermediate node should be able to verify the integrity of a bundle.

So now let's think about ESBs. For the reason mentioned above, an integrity check on an extension block seems to be a non-issue -- any node should be able to verify integrity. Which leaves the matter of confidentiality for an extension block. Now, I see the issue of confidentiality for an extension block as quite separate from that for the payload. Over the years we've discussed various scenarios where routing and search actions might be performed on metadata, so that some metadata would be available through keys that were known more widely than those for the payload. For example, metadata might indicate that the payload was a map covering certain coordinates. Another metadata items might specify the times for which the map was valid. And the map payload would indicate the various unit dispositions at that time. The "coordinates" key might have broad distribution, the "time" key be more restricted and the payload key the most closely-held.

But now I wonder about just what meaning we should attach to "security-dest" for an encryption ESB. In the scenario above, I would not expect that the ESB would ever be decrypted and the clear-text content be stored back in the bundle. Instead, it would be decrypted for immediate use but remain unchanged in the bundle.

I'm sure there are other planned uses for extension blocks and it would be a help if we can craft a few sample use cases so we can think more fruitfully about this problem. This would really help, because I'm imagining horror scenarios where various nodes add an ESB and push the bundle-dest and the bundle routing suddenly goes very, very bad. PCB is OK because there's only one payload, and onion-layering enforces nesting. That's not the case for ESBs so things could go bad.

To go back to Scott's comment - it does make sense if we can have some controls and sequencing on it. The push/pop scheme must have a single list and clearly-defined rules, and that means that PCB can't be allowed to do it on its own (unless it's forbidden to all others - not a good proposal).

Doing anything of this kind will certainly require changes to 5050. I have heard occasional rumblings that there might be a revision to it so let's think about what we might want/need, and be ready with well-considered proposals.

Regards.....Peter