Re: [dtn-users] Streaming Video with dtn2 and vlc

"Zoller, David A. (MSFC-EO60)[HOSC SERVICES CONTRACT]" <david.a.zoller@nasa.gov> Wed, 05 December 2012 17:20 UTC

From: "Zoller, David A. (MSFC-EO60)[HOSC SERVICES CONTRACT]" <david.a.zoller@nasa.gov>
To: "carlosnevesabrantes@gmail.com" <carlosnevesabrantes@gmail.com>, "dtn-users@irtf.org" <dtn-users@irtf.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 11:20:10 -0600
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [dtn-users] Streaming Video with dtn2 and vlc

Hi Carlos,
It looks like your message only made it to the dtn-security mailing list and this might be better on the dtn-users list.

I have been using dtntunnel to stream video through DTN2 but I have not tried it with a file as the source. I can experiment if that is how you would like to operate.

I have a video stream transmitted to the front end of the tunnel where I have dtntunnel running with these options:
dtntunnel -e 864000 -u -T 12345:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:54321 dtn://<destination>/dtntunnel
where: -e <expiration>  = expiration time for the bundles
-u    = use UDP
-T 12345:127.0.0.1:54321  = defines the tunnel:
                12345 is the local port receiving the video stream (you might be able to put "<multicast IP>:" in front to tap into a stream)
                xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx needs to be changed to the IP where VLC is running or possibly a multicast
                54321 is the port that VLC is listening on

On the tail end of the tunnel I have dtntunnel running with these options:
dtntunnel -u -L
where: -u = use UDP
                -L = listening mode
                --local_eid <eid> can be used to override the default which is dtn://<local eid>/dtntunnel

This tail dtntunnel transmits the payload to the IP/port specified in the -T option on the front end.

VLC is configured to receive a stream:   udp://@<multicast>:54321
If you transmit directly to the VLC IP then VLC still has to be set up to listen on a multicast even if it is a dummy address.

Best regards,
DZ

David Zoller
COLSA Corporation
Marshall Space Flight Center

 *   From: Carlos Neves <carlosnevesabrantes at gmail.com<mailto:carlosnevesabrantes@DOMAIN.HIDDEN>>
 *   To: dtn-interest at irtf.org<mailto:dtn-interest@DOMAIN.HIDDEN>, dtn-security at irtf.org<mailto:dtn-security@DOMAIN.HIDDEN>, dtn-users at mailman.irtf.org<mailto:dtn-users@DOMAIN.HIDDEN>
 *   Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 10:00:09 -0500

________________________________
Streaming Video with dtn2 and vlc
Our team is trying compare dtn2 and Ibr-dtn performance in video streaming to write a paper about this technologies.
I have troubles to send a stream video in dtn2, because dtnsend does not work as i wanted for the flag "f" (file).
Changing apps/dtnrecv.c, and do the /configure , make , make install again , now i can send videos from a computer to another.
You have any solution to do stream of video or sending files without changing dtnrecv.c original file?
I'm using dtnd version 2.9.0

To receive the stream i'm using:
receiver: dtnrecv dtn://carlos.dtn/r | vlc -
It works for remote communications with other computers.

You have a copy above with the modifications we have made.
<dtnrecv.c>

Respects,
Carlos Neves Abrantes, André Carvalho
Communication Networks Engineering