Re: [dtn-users] A problem with dtntunnel

"Zoller, David A. (MSFC-EO60)[HOSC SERVICES CONTRACT]" <david.a.zoller@nasa.gov> Wed, 05 December 2012 12:51 UTC

From: "Zoller, David A. (MSFC-EO60)[HOSC SERVICES CONTRACT]" <david.a.zoller@nasa.gov>
To: "ssireskin@gmail.com" <ssireskin@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 06:51:49 -0600
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "dtn-users@irtf.org" <dtn-users@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [dtn-users] A problem with dtntunnel

Hi Sergey,
I would not even call this a problem. netcat is designed to be extremely flexible and by default the sender keeps its connection open as long as the other end does. On the other hand the receiver by default terminates after receipt of an EOF but there is a switch to keep listening if that is the desired behavior.

With DTN, your sending nc may do its thing while the destination node is not even on line and then an hour later it becomes available and completes the transmission to the receiving nc. In this scenario, the sender would still be "hung up" possibly indefinitely waiting for a terminating signal.

I am not the DTN2 authority, but, I don't see a change to dtntunnel for this as it would assume a specific usage that would probably break someone else's usage (like mine :)).

Best regards,
DZ

David Zoller
COLSA Corporation