Re: [dtn] [EXT] Re: Important side issues from ACME Node ID Validation draft

Rick Taylor <rick@tropicalstormsoftware.com> Mon, 23 August 2021 19:38 UTC

From: Rick Taylor <rick@tropicalstormsoftware.com>
To: "Birrane, Edward J." <Edward.Birrane@jhuapl.edu>, Brian Sipos <brian.sipos+ietf@gmail.com>, "R. Atkinson" <rja.lists@gmail.com>
CC: Brian Sipos <BSipos@rkf-eng.com>, "dtn@ietf.org" <dtn@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 19:38:29 +0000
x-originating-ip: [2a02:1648:4000:120:d4eb:2f82:2905:aec]
Subject: Re: [dtn] [EXT] Re: Important side issues from ACME Node ID Validation draft

Hi Brian, Ed,

I personally agree with the ACME Sec review...  I think subjectAltName is the wrong field to be using for Node-ID in the certificate, and using it definitely ties our hands with Naming and Addressing to only use Node-IDs (and by extension Endpoint IDs) that map to RFC3986 valid formats.

@Brian,  Can you suggest some replacement text for the 3rd paragraph of 4.4.1 that meet the ACME suggestion?

Everyone else, do you consider the change to use a different field/type in the certificate to be a change that requires returning TCPCLv4 to the WG.  Note that doing this will delay BPv7 and BPSec as they are all bound together.

With my chair hat on, I would suggest that the current text specifies the wrong field to use, rather than specifying something functionally incorrect.

Cheers,

Rick