Re: [earlywarning] Finishing the Charter Text Discussions

creed@opengeospatial.org Fri, 09 April 2010 16:09 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 12:09:24 -0400
From: creed@opengeospatial.org
To: "DALY, BRIAN K (ATTCINW)" <BD2985@att.com>
Cc: "DOLLY, MARTIN C (ATTLABS)" <md3135@att.com>, earlywarning-bounces@ietf.org, earlywarning@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [earlywarning] Finishing the Charter Text Discussions

In Europe they are working toward a Pan-European alerting and warning
infrastructure with full interoperability. However, I am not sure at what
level in the "stack" this work is being done - perhaps more at the higher
levels in the application arena. I do not see discussions on L2 or CMAS or
whatever. The European programs are initially being funded as part of the
FP 6 and 7 initiatives. Check out ORCHESTRA
(http://www.eu-orchestra.org/), GMES/SAFER
(http://www.emergencyresponse.eu/site/FO/scripts/myFO_accueil.php?lang=EN)
and SANY (http://www.sany-ip.eu/). SANY is interesting because the focus
is on integrating sensor alerts into a modeling, warning, and alerting
infrastructure.

Similar activities are occurring in Asia, such as Debris Flow Monitoring
and Alerting in Taiwan, Tsunami Alerting in Indonesia, and earthquake
warning in Japan.

Regards

Carl