Re: [earlywarning] Beijing agenda slots

"Mark Wood" <mark.wood@engineer.com> Tue, 14 September 2010 09:22 UTC

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:22:34 +0100
From: Mark Wood <mark.wood@engineer.com>
To: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
Cc: "earlywarning@ietf.org" <earlywarning@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [earlywarning] Beijing agenda slots

Hi People;

I am Mark Wood, the convener of the ITU-T SG2 liaison on "multicast
address space harmonization for civic purposes".

As a matter of reference for your kind attention, I can take a few minutes
to describe the mechanism of cell broadcasting in 2nd and 3rd generation
mobile networks and explain the ITU-T SG2 liaison, so that we can discuss
if any of the discoveries made there are of any relevance to the ATOCA
deliberations or not.

The ITU is not seeking any infuence over IETF deliberations, but the
process at ITU has been on going for 4 years, and a lot of discoveries
were made in that time which you may find interesting.

The next ITU-T SG2 meeting is the week after the IETF, so I will be in a
position to relay to them any thoughts or observations that you may have.
At the last ITU meeting Nov 2009, questions were raised on the matter of
4G mobile networks and how they would accommodate public warnings, so your
deliberations will be of great interest to the delegates at ITU. I will of
course relay to you any outcomes that the November meeting of ITU may
produce.

May I also suggest that ATOCA be added as a 'Liason' to the ITU process
and visa versa.

By November, member states of ITU may have submitted more liaisons of
their own to ITU, which we may be able to reference for informational
purposes.

I intend to attend the whole IETF in Beijing, so I will be available to
gladly answer any questions.

Mark Wood DRCF.