Re: [earlywarning] Review of draft-rosen-atoca-cap

"Hannes Tschofenig" <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Wed, 21 July 2010 09:15 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:15:22 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
Cc: hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com, earlywarning@ietf.org, Brian.Rosen@neustar.biz
Subject: Re: [earlywarning] Review of draft-rosen-atoca-cap

Hi Martin,

> Thanks for taking the time Hannes,
>
> I really wanted to highlight what I thought needed work.  We're obviously
> still at a very early stage in this work.
>
> > The first challenge we ran into was the lack of a definition of alerts.
> > We tried to put a list of alert types in
> > http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rosen-atoca-server-discovery-00 (see
> > Section 6.1) but faced a lot of resistance on the mailing list (see
> > http://www.ietf.org/mail-
> > archive/web/earlywarning/current/msg00130.html).
> >
> > Before this aspect is addressed it is a bit difficult to say whether
> > filters, service URNs, resource lists, etc. are the right approach.
>
> The alternative is tougher, but potentially more robust.  You have a
> single service with no associated taxonomy: urn:service:warning
>
> The results of a query on this service returns all applicable services for
> the area.  Each contains a description.  The user chooses the warning
> services based on these descriptions.
>
> There are costs, but it avoids the sticky taxonomy problem.

Interesting idea. Would be worthwhile to check how many different warning alert one would get with such an approach (in a specific geographical area).

> Another approach is to allow for services to be identified with
> proprietary URI identifiers.  These generic identifiers could be discovered using
> out-of-band means (side of bus, web search).  Then LoST doesn't come into it
> at all, SIP routing (possibly location-based) does all the hard work.  It's
> probably not-cool if we don't use LoST though.

Probably the right way is often somewhere in the middle. Currently the ITU-T tries to establish a registry of organizations distributing alerts. One can obviously retrieve the list of organizations from there. A user would not want to do that, however. Instead, they would more likely opt for two approaches: (a) use a preconfigured list of organizations, or (b) use an aggregator that does these types of things for them.

Ciao
Hannes