Re: [earlywarning] [CAP] Definition of Warning Categories

"David Aylward \(Comcare\)" <daylward@comcare.org> Sun, 12 July 2009 20:41 UTC

From: "David Aylward (Comcare)" <daylward@comcare.org>
To: 'Art Botterell' <acb@incident.com>, earlywarning@ietf.org, cap-list@incident.com
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 16:41:44 -0400
Cc: Timothy Grapes <tgrapes@evotecinc.com>, ltincher@evotecinc.com
Subject: Re: [earlywarning] [CAP] Definition of Warning Categories

Hannes:

That is exactly what I was talking about, but CAP was not designed for that.
It is a
"broadcast to the world" standard.  It is excellent for that purpose, but
not for the more refined purpose you are pursuing.

The OASIS EDXL Distribution Element was designed for exactly that purpose:
machine to machine routing based on incident type, role and similar factors,
and primarily as Art suggests in the "wholesale", inter-organization world.

Organizations (and individuals connected to them) subscribe to "hear" about
incident types within certain geographies.

We have talked in the past, Hannes, about "core services", the purpose of
them is to provision queries such as you suggest, and govern rights to send
and receive such messages.

Lots of work has been done on these ideas outside of the message-specific
standards that they would enable.

David K. Aylward, President
COMCARE Emergency Response Technology Group
1351 Independence Court, SE
Washington, DC 20003
202.255.3215 (mobile)
202.295.0136 (office)
202.521.4047 (fax)
daylward@comcare.org

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and/or privileged
recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action
relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply,
should be deleted or destroyed.