Re: [earlywarning] [CAP] Definition of Warning Categories

Rex Buddenberg <budden@nps.navy.mil> Mon, 13 July 2009 16:55 UTC

From: Rex Buddenberg <budden@nps.navy.mil>
To: Bob Robinson <rwrobinsonme@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:55:12 -0700
Cc: IAEM List <iaem-list@iaem.com>, EM Groups <emergency-management@yahoogroups.com>, earlywarning@ietf.org, cap-list@incident.com
Subject: Re: [earlywarning] [CAP] Definition of Warning Categories

Bob,

You point into a very interesting parallel development out there in the
world.

In the stimulus bill last spring was $7.2B in grant money that went to
USDA ('broadband' and 'reach to rural') and NTIA in Commerce
('broadband' and 'reach to underserved').  The FCC was also charged with
drafting a 'national broadband plan'.
	FCC published a Notice of Inquiry, for which the comment period just
closed last week.  About the first comment they sought was a definition
of 'broadband'.  (For paper coming from inside the beltway, this NOI is
pretty good stuff, IMHO).  Whatever your definition of broadband, you
can look behind it and see 'extension of the internet'.  And you should
recognize that extension of internet to rural and extension of internet
to emergency services has a whole lot of overlap.
	Just to complete the federal nethead - bellhead list of players, DHS
and DoJ are still in circuit-switch.  ... and didn't get this batch of
grant money.

What you ought to get out of this is is that
	- emergency services vehicles will soon be routinely on the internet.
	- the citizenry that emergency services exists to serve will
increasingly be on the internet.
	This observation is progressively true in any event -- the netheads
always win -- but the stimulus subsidies are probably going to be a
substantial accelerant.... Santa Ana winds behind a California
wildfire.