Re: [earlywarning] [CAP] Definition of Warning Categories

"David Aylward \(Comcare\)" <daylward@comcare.org> Sun, 12 July 2009 16:54 UTC

From: "David Aylward (Comcare)" <daylward@comcare.org>
To: cap-list@incident.com, earlywarning@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 12:54:56 -0400
Subject: Re: [earlywarning] [CAP] Definition of Warning Categories

Hannes:

As Art says, CAP's incident list is very general.  To further Art's point,
when it came to the development of what became the OASIS EDXL Distribution
Element (DE), we faced the same issue as a primary purpose of the DE is
routing messages by incident type.  The CAP categories were far too broad
for that.

So the draft requirements and specification for the DE developed by the
cross emergency domain practitioner working group developed a detailed list
of incident types for submission to the OASIS EMTC as part of its request
for the development of that standard.

The EMTC wisely rejected our suggestion, thinking that (1) the work to
create a shared incident type taxomony should be done for the US and other
countries, but hadn't been done yet, and (2) such lists of incident types
would likely change more frequently than the standard.

So they adopted a flexible solution of "Managed Lists" for this and similar
list issues (e.g. roles).   Under this approach values such as incident
names appear in the standard, along with the name of the managed list you
are using.  If there is only one Managed List for that topic in the world,
great, but if there are several you can still communicate because you know
which list is being used.

The absence of both initial managed lists and a repository for their
locations is an identified gap that hopefully will be addressed soon.  A
number of us developed a project to do Managed Lists for incident names and
roles, but other priorities have gotten in the way.

David K. Aylward, President
COMCARE Emergency Response Technology Group
1351 Independence Court, SE
Washington, DC 20003
202.255.3215 (mobile)
202.295.0136 (office)
202.521.4047 (fax)
daylward@comcare.org

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and/or privileged
recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action
relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply,
should be deleted or destroyed.