Re: [Atoca] Language and Media Type

"Richard L. Barnes" <rbarnes@bbn.com> Mon, 17 January 2011 15:13 UTC

From: "Richard L. Barnes" <rbarnes@bbn.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 10:15:37 -0500
To: Art Botterell <artbotterell@gmail.com>
Cc: "earlywarning@ietf.org" <earlywarning@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Atoca] Language and Media Type

Not really; they serve separate functions.  The CAP language element says what language the message uses.  The Accept-Language header says what languages the client can support.

Putting on my wild-speculation hat for a moment, to add a little more color to Martin's comment: If notifications were based on clients registering over HTTP or SIP, clients could include an Accept-Language header in their registration.  This would allow the alert server to (1) tell authorities what languages clients speak (useful forensically, if not in real time), and (2) deliver a language-appropriate message to each client.  In pictures:
                                        -(en)-[American tourist]
              (en)                     /
[CH ingress]--(fr)--[Geneva gateway]--+--(fr)-[Geneva native]
              (de)                     \
                                        -(de)-[German tourist]

Suggested text:
-- Clients SHOULD include an Accept-Language header in their SUBSCRIBE request to indicate which languages they support.
-- Clients SHOULD be able to process and render CAP responses containing arbitrary UTF-8 data (subject to the limitations of user interface), without regard to the CAP <language> element or SIP Content-Language header.  Clients MUST NOT discard a CAP message because its <language> tag or Content-Language header contain illegal or unsupported values.
-- Servers MUST indicate the language of a CAP message by setting the CAP <language> element and SIP Content-Language header to equivalent values.
-- Servers SHOULD send clients CAP messages only in the languages specified in the Accept-Language header in the client's SUBSCRIBE request, which an alert in this language is available.