Re: [Atoca] Requirement for Originator Authentication?

Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net> Mon, 17 January 2011 16:07 UTC

From: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 10:33:07 -0500
To: "Richard L. Barnes" <rbarnes@bbn.com>
Cc: igor.faynberg@alcatel-lucent.com, earlywarning@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Atoca] Requirement for Originator Authentication?

Interesting.

Our experience is that it's hard to get S/MIME implementations, but maybe we could do it for this one.

In nearly every case, we don't want encryption.  We want authentication and probably integrity protection.  So implementing S/MIME gets you that, but you can ignore it if you want to.  Might work.

I do think hop by hop works also.

Brian