Re: [earlywarning] Finishing the Charter Text Discussions

Richard Barnes <rbarnes@bbn.com> Wed, 07 April 2010 20:36 UTC

From: Richard Barnes <rbarnes@bbn.com>
To: "DALY, BRIAN K (ATTCINW)" <BD2985@att.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 16:35:36 -0400
Cc: "SENNETT, DEWAYNE A (ATTCINW)" <DS2225@att.com>, Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>, earlywarning@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [earlywarning] Finishing the Charter Text Discussions

Could you clarify how ATOCA "contradicts" these rules?

Isn't that kind of like saying that SIP contradicts XMPP?  The idea of
ATOCA is to build a system with some different features than CMAS,
that is still generally interoperable with it.  SIP has much better
support for lots of PSTN-replacement stuff than XMPP, and conversely
XMPP can be a lot simpler to use inter-domain, but you can still pass
IMs and dialogues from one to another.  Likewise, we expect the ATOCA
system to meet a different set of trade-offs than CMAS, but still
allow alerts to move back and forth.

--Richard