Re: [Atoca] I-D Action:draft-ietf-atoca-requirements-01.txt

"DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com> Mon, 17 January 2011 17:47 UTC

From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "earlywarning@ietf.org" <earlywarning@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 18:50:20 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [Atoca] I-D Action:draft-ietf-atoca-requirements-01.txt

I was scanning the charter to see if we had requirements for all items mentioned in the charter.

For the following text:

"Which devices should get alerts is primarily driven by location.
The first set of recipients that must be catered for are those
within the area identified by the alert originator to be affected
by the emergency event. "

I could see the requiremnet for recipient control of this:

   Req-S2:

      The protocol solution MUST allow a potential Recipient to express
      the geographical area it wants to receive alerts about.

But I could see no corresponding require for the sender to be able to indicate which geographic locations it wants its alerts to go to.

I also looked at the following charter text:

"The ATOCA effort is differentiated from and is not intended to
replace other alerting mechanisms (e.g., PWS, CMAS, ETWS), as the
recipients of ATOCA alerts are the wide range of devices connected to
the Internet and various private IP networks, which humans may have
"at hand" to get such events, as well as automatons who may take
action based on the alerts. This implies that the content of the
alert contains some information, which is intended to be consumed
by humans, and some which is intended to be consumed by automatons.
"

I could see nothing in the i-d that even mentioned this, let alone discussed it. Rather the text:

   "This problem has been illustrated by the London underground bombing
   on July 7, 2006, as described in a government report [July2005].  The
   UK authorities could only use broadcast media and could not, for
   example, easily announce to the "walking wounded" where to assemble."

Could be be taken to imply that they intend to do exactly that, as I understand the UK initiative as a result of that was directed to mobile phone solutions, as identified above.

regards

Keith