Re: [earlywarning] Finishing the Charter Text Discussions

"James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com> Wed, 07 April 2010 21:22 UTC

Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 16:22:27 -0500
To: "SENNETT, DEWAYNE A (ATTCINW)" <DS2225@att.com>, Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>, earlywarning@ietf.org
From: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [earlywarning] Finishing the Charter Text Discussions

At 10:30 AM 4/7/2010, SENNETT, DEWAYNE A (ATTCINW) wrote:
>Hi Hannes,
>
>Based upon the previous email decisions, changes to the charter text are
>still needed.
>
>The second paragraph of the charter provides a high level purpose and
>scope for the ATOCA work.  The following should be added to the end of
>the second paragraph to provide further clarification on the purpose and
>scope of the ATOCA work:
>
>"The ATOCA solutions will not adversely affect the ability of any access
>technology to provide emergency services to the citizens (e.g. 9-1-1
>calls) or to provide communication services to first responders or other
>authorized emergency services personnel.

The above sentence is troubling to me too.  Take the old adage "one
man's victory is another man's defeat". In that - I mean -- who's to
say that an ATOCA (layer 3-7) solution adversely affects a layer 2
solution (existing or planned)?  This is nearly always in the eyes of
the beholder.  The IETF, for the most part, deals only with layers
3-7, and leaves lower layer solutions to other SDOs. The classic
example is wrt IEEE.

Put another way - if you are a proponent of the WARN act, you like
the 140 character limitation for any message.  Most of us in the IETF
feel that's too limiting, and believe we can create something that is
much more useful.  Now, anyone that MUST be in compliance with the
WARN act needs to support at least the 140 character limitation. Does
that mean there can be no other communication with a richer set of information?

Some might say that idea alone "adversely affect an access
technology" because who implements both are taking on increased complexity.

Is that a reason to stop progress?

In the 50s the railroad industry tried to prevent the airline
industry from becoming certified, at least in the US.  The rail
industry say the airline industry as a threat.  Now, was that effort
good for anyone?

If someone doesn't implement what the IETF specifies in ATOCA, then
they don't implement it. We let the market decide -- of course where
jurisdictions allow.

I am opposed to the suggested change to the charter.

James