Re: [earlywarning] Finishing the Charter Text Discussions

"SENNETT, DEWAYNE A (ATTCINW)" <DS2225@att.com> Wed, 07 April 2010 20:21 UTC

Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 13:20:38 -0700
From: "SENNETT, DEWAYNE A (ATTCINW)" <DS2225@att.com>
To: ken carlberg <carlberg@g11.org.uk>
Cc: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>, earlywarning@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [earlywarning] Finishing the Charter Text Discussions

In regards to the comment on the first sentence, all services have to be
evaluated for impact before they are implemented in any live
environment.  However, a service that is designed from the beginning
with no consideration of the impacts to the access technologies is a
very badly designed service.  ATOCA will have an adverse effect to at
least some of the access technologies and if ATOCA is designed without
any considerations of the capabilities and limitations of the access
technologies, it will fail and it will cause adverse effects to the
access technologies.

The proof of network congestion already exists.  This is demonstrated
repeatedly as "all circuits busy" error responses, dropped calls,
fast-busy tones, delayed delivery of SMS messages, etc.

Since ATOCA is the new communications entity beginning proposed, the
burden of proof is on ATOCA to prove that it will not adversely impact
any of the associated access technologies.

DeWayne