Re: [EAT] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Rats] Attestation BoF charter updates?

Henk Birkholz <henk.birkholz@sit.fraunhofer.de> Mon, 15 October 2018 14:53 UTC

To: "rats@ietf.org" <rats@ietf.org>, Jeremy O'Donoghue <jodonogh@qti.qualcomm.com>, Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr>
CC: "eat@ietf.org" <eat@ietf.org>
From: Henk Birkholz <henk.birkholz@sit.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 16:53:37 +0200
Subject: Re: [EAT] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Rats] Attestation BoF charter updates?

Hi Jeremy & Denis,

all these points of view have merit, I think.

Please have a look at these quotes:

> knowing the provenance of the device

> having the entity creator/manufacturer provide a set of claims which can be verified

> to know the characteristics of a device by issuing to the device a public key certificate which will only be issued to the device if it fulfills an expected set of functionalities.

To me, these descriptions seem to have different intents, scope or
audience and require most certainly different work-flows, but
semantically and in consequence representation-wise they also seem quite
related.

If you think of an identity document as a set of claims (potentially
including a public key), that is signed and that can match one or more
things, maybe all three types highlighted above are actually covered by
the same identity document concept?

With respect to identity documents, I think it is safe so say that we
can find common ground here rather easily. That said, the way how these
identity documents come into existence, when and how they are deployed
on the thing or associated with multiple things is another question. We
most certainly do not want to end up with a "signing fool" that does not
add value to the level of confidence (I am quoting Ned Smith here).

This has to be fleshed out explicitly for each scenario and the parts
that are reused in every scenario should get special attention in the
upcoming RATS architecture draft.

Identifying claims aggregated in an identity document most certainly can
include device characteristics, public key(s), or claims about the
intended functions and capabilities of the thing. Claims can even
originate from Claimants that are not the thing itself, but external
entities providing an assertion (e.g. these things are CC-certified).

All different composites of identifying claims have a specific shared
intend in this context though, I think: expressing Attestation
Provenance (again - one for one or more things of the same kind). And
all of them originate from Claimants and therefore use a root of trust
of measurement, I think.

That said, establishing trustworthy knowledge about attestation
provenance is only the first step and provides the foundation for more
complex attestation procedures. In any case, this seem to be required by
every scenario that was highlighted so far and therefore will most
certainly be covered in a deliverable.

IHTH,

Henk