Re: [EAT] [Rats] Attestation BoF charter updates? - Charter introduction section

"Smith, Ned" <ned.smith@intel.com> Wed, 24 October 2018 17:50 UTC

From: "Smith, Ned" <ned.smith@intel.com>
To: Henk Birkholz <henk.birkholz@sit.fraunhofer.de>, Jeremy O'Donoghue <jodonogh@qti.qualcomm.com>, "Eric Voit (evoit)" <evoit@cisco.com>, "rats@ietf.org" <rats@ietf.org>
CC: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, "eat@ietf.org" <eat@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 17:50:42 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.24.14.77]
Subject: Re: [EAT] [Rats] Attestation BoF charter updates? - Charter introduction section

[nms] The introduction includes the following list of information objects to which attestation might pertain:
"To improve the confidence in a communication partner's trustworthiness a relying party requires trusted claims or specific evidence about:

* device identity,
* claim origination/provenance,
* manufacturing origin,
* system integrity,
* configuration, or
* operational state and measurements of steps which led to the operational state."

A reasonable interpretation could exclude sub-module environments (e.g. TrustZone, SGX Enclave, VM) as potentially having different "trusted claims or specific evidence" than the "device". Hence, it might make sense to add "sub-modules or roots-of-trust" to the list.

-Ned

On 10/24/18, 5:56 AM, "EAT on behalf of Henk Birkholz" <eat-bounces@ietf.org on behalf of henk.birkholz@sit.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

    Hi all,

    based on Jeremy's proposal we did another big refactoring - also tried
    to address everybody's comments, inputs and concerns.

    > https://github.com/ietf-rats/charter/blob/RC3/ietf-rats-charter.md
[nms] Note: this reference doesn't disambiguate the version of the charter md and I believe there are emails that have crossed where may be a more recent version somewhere.

    Please note that this charter text is intended to be a first phase,
    which is the reason why, for example, there still is no mentioning about
    provisioning, profiles, or more details about out-of-band dependencies.

    As Michael highlighted, most types of content belong into drafts. That
    said - on one hand the charter is a kind of "contract" wrt to scope and
    output, on the other hand we do not want to boil the ocean (at least not
    all at once...).

    Viele Grüße,

    Henk

    On 10/24/2018 01:36 PM, Jeremy O'Donoghue wrote:
    > HI Eric,
    >
    >> On 23 Oct 2018, at 19:04, Eric Voit (evoit) <evoit@cisco.com
    >> <mailto:evoit@cisco.com>> wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi Jeremy,
    >> Thanks for taking a cut at this charter simplification.  There are a
    >> few areas covered within theGitHub Goals
    >> <https://github.com/ietf-rats/charter/blob/RC2/ietf-rats-charter.md>which
    >> I can’t easily map to your text below.  Could you talk about how these
    >> elements are covered (or not)?   For context, I am working from the
    >> perspective ofremote attestation application
    >> <https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/application-policy-infrastructure-controller-enterprise-module/1-5-x/integrity_verification/user-guide/Cisco_Integrity_Verification_Application_APIC-EM_User_Guide_1_5_0_x.pdf>developer
    >> trying to standardize the interfaces between a controller (which is
    >> acting as a claim verifier) and a network element (which includes TCG
    >> based subsystems.)
    >> For my application to work properly, there are several things needed
    >> within a network controller to validate the asserted claims coming out
    >> of a router.  These include:
    >> ·How do we expose the attestation evidence which can be used to
    >> validate asserted claims?
    >
    > I think that the need to address this is covered sufficiently for a WG
    > Charter by the statement "Produce a specification defining procedures
    > and corresponding architectures
 supporting verification of Claims".