Re: [Ecrit] A few issues with RFC7852 (Additional Data)

Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org> Sun, 06 December 2020 20:17 UTC

From: Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org>
To: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
Cc: ECRIT <ecrit@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 12:17:03 -0800
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] A few issues with RFC7852 (Additional Data)

More generally, the reason the block type MUST be a registered emergency
call additional data block and the block type is part of the Call-Info
'purpose' parameter is so an entity can determine using rules if it will
access the block or not.  This applies regardless of the block is passed
by reference or by value.  The expectation is that, for example, PSAPs
will determine the handling of various types of data using a set of
rules, (not unlike policy routing), e.g., specifying which data elements
of which blocks are displayed to a call taker on call presentation vs
available to a call taker by request vs not accessed.

RFC 7852 Section 6 does mention the possibility of having a different
block type than what the 'purpose' parameter indicated:

     Note that, as with any mechanism, failures are possible.  For
     example, a block (provided by value or by reference) might not be
the
     type indicated by the 'purpose' parameter, or might be badly
formed,
     etc.  The general principle that applies to emergency calls is that
     it is more important for the call to go through than for everything
     to be correct.  Thus, most PSAPs will process a call if at all
     possible, even if data is missing or other failures occur.

--Randall