Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Emergency Call Framework for Canada; Questions on draft-ietf-ecrit-framework-09
From: John Lange <[email-masked]>
To: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Cc: 'ecrit' <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 22:22:01 -0500
List-Id: <ecrit.ietf.org>

On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 16:49 -0500, James M. Polk wrote:
> At 04:19 PM 6/2/2009, John Lange wrote:
> >That is why I'm advocating a closer look at something like STUN + DNS
> >for LIS discovery. It will work, allows OBO and requires no new
> >hardware.
> 
> 
> James -- upgrading residential gateways to support (DHCP) Option 99 
> or 123 requires no new hardware either.... (last I checked)

James, you should check again. You need not look any further than your
own company. Ask around and see if Cisco will be providing new firmware
for _all_ of the devices it has ever made including devices from
companies it has purchased such as Linksys and Sipura.

Even if they did, what percentage of users would actually apply the
updates?

Any solution that requires the upgrading of residential gateways is not
feasible.

-- 
John Lange
http://www.johnlange.ca