Re: [Ecrit] draft-ietf-ecrit-lost-planned-changes-05

Brandon Abley <babley@nena.org> Wed, 27 October 2021 23:10 UTC

From: Brandon Abley <babley@nena.org>
To: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>, Victor Burton <Victor.Burton@comtechtel.com>
CC: "ecrit@ietf.org" <ecrit@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 23:09:01 +0000
x-originating-ip: [187.250.240.241]
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] draft-ietf-ecrit-lost-planned-changes-05

I gave this a good read today. Some notes—

  *   Throughout, changeSet should be camel case? It is an object and not a method or class. The OpenAPI markup is inconsistent with this also.
  *   Section 3: The text says “versions” is two integers separated by a period. But in OpenAPI it is an object with two integers. The text implies it is a string with a specific format.

I know this is re-litigating mostly settled stuff, but polling has scalability issues? I know that there is a relatively small amount of traffic since there is just polling to see if there have been changes, but in the future of the global community of LoST servers for emergency services there is I feel like there is an open potential vulnerability to poll the PlannedChangePoll interface to death, such as with malicious use of changeSetIds. Though in the emergency services space we do have things like a PKI to mitigate this and the RFC notes this as well as other security implications. I would really prefer a push mechanism, but for reasons already discussed, I can stand by the RFC as currently drafted with the polling interface.

Assuming correction of typos and other stylistic things as noted in the email thread, I support advancing this RFC.

Brandon Abley
Director of Technology
NENA: The 9-1-1 Association
babley@nena.org<mailto:babley@nena.org>