Re: [Ecrit] Review of draft-ietf-ecrit-car-crash-20

Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org> Fri, 06 January 2017 12:54 UTC

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 04:54:36 -0800
To: Dan Romascanu <dromasca@gmail.com>
From: Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org>
Cc: gen-art <gen-art@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-ecrit-car-crash.all@ietf.org, ietf <ietf@ietf.org>, ecrit@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Review of draft-ietf-ecrit-car-crash-20

At 9:53 PM +0200 1/5/17, Dan Romascanu wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  Thanks for the quick answer and for addressing my comments.
>
>  On respect to:
>
>>  There is no conflict, as the eCall document applies to regions
>> that adhere to the E.U. eCall system, and this document applies to
>> other regions.  I added the following sentence to the paragraphs
>> in the Abstract and Introduction:
>
>     A vehicle designed for multiple regions will
>     comply with the document applicable to the region in which it is
>     located.
>
>  I do not believe that this is sufficiently clear. Do you mean here
> that this document applies to all regions that do not implement the
> eCall system? If so, please say it explicitely.
>
>  Also, what does 'comply' mean? Is this about what is implemented in
> the software, or about what is activated? Without this
> clarification, your usage of MANDATORY and OPTIONAL keywords is
> fuzzy.

Hi Dan,

On reflection, I've deleted the two added sentences:

     A vehicle designed for multiple regions will
    comply with the document applicable to the region in which it is
    located.

The Introduction already says:

    Vehicles
    designed to operate in multiple regions might need to support eCall
    as well as NG-ACN as described here.  A vehicle IVS might determine
    whether to use eCall or ACN by first determining the region or
    country in which it is located (e.g., from a GNSS location estimate
    and/or identity of or information from an MNO).  If other regions
    adopt other data formats, a multi-region vehicle might need to
    support those as well.

I think this text is better than the added sentences, and I agree
with you that the added text introduced its own ambiguity.

--Randy

--
Randall Gellens
The chance of forgetting something is directly proportional