[Ecrit] Agenda for ECRIT virtual interim 18-August

Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org> Mon, 25 July 2022 22:50 UTC

From: Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org>
To: ECRIT <ecrit@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 15:50:21 -0700
Subject: [Ecrit] Agenda for ECRIT virtual interim 18-August

Emergency Context Resolution with Internet Technologies WG

ECRIT virtual interim meeting agenda 18 August 2022 7:30-9:00 PDT /
10:30-noon EDT

Meeting location: Zoom:
https://nena-org.zoom.us/j/4867827164?pwd=UFhUc1JycnJ3V0Z2ZWJJTmcrb3pLdz09

Times in PDT:

7:30-7:40 * meeting preliminaries, agenda bashing (chairs)

7:40-7:45 * status of planned-changes draft (chairs)

7:45-8:15 * discussion of planned-changes draft (chairs)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ecrit-lost-planned-changes/

- Separating serious technical objections that present an obstacle to
implementation or deployment from technical preferences (e.g., preferred
deployment models, client vs server load, etc.)

- Discussion of any identified serious technical objections that present
an obstacle to implementation or deployment

- Discussion of technical preferences

8:15-8:20 * wrap-up

Note: the NENA i3 WG weekly call will reclaim time unused by the ECRIT
meeting; NENA i3 may start earlier or later than the slotted time of
8:20 PDT (11:20 EDT).

- - - - - - - - - -

Status of planned-changes draft:

- Notification vs polling is the primary open issue. The other issues
that have been discussed are secondary and are different depending on
which mechanism is selected.

- The chairs identified the technical objections raised by WG
participants against either mechanism. An important part of reaching
consensus is making sure that all technical objections have been given
appropriate consideration. Below is a summary of the objections that
I've identified from the email list and the Doodle poll and follow-up
discussion:

---
**Doodle poll:**

- Technical objection to polling: Gunnar, Guy
- Technical objection to notification: Dan Banks

**Dan:**
    Asking a LoST server to store information in response to a query
creates an undue burden and presents multiple opportunities for abuse.
It is also impractical for a LoST server to make the necessary
determinations to support notifications.

**Jeff**
    Requiring a server to store and later use a client-provided uri
opens the door for abuse by malicious actors.

**Gunnar:**
    Polling for rare events causes waste of resources. Planned-changes
are expected to be rare per location.

---
**Email:**

**Objections to notification:**