[Ecrit] draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp-05.txt: Which devices and services should support emergency calls

"Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com> Tue, 14 October 2008 12:31 UTC

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:49:17 +0300
From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>
To: ECRIT <ecrit@ietf.org>
Subject: [Ecrit] draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp-05.txt: Which devices and services should support emergency calls
Sender: ecrit-bounces@ietf.org

   ED-1 A device or application SHOULD support emergency calling if a
   user could reasonably expect to be able to place a call for help with
   the device.

   SP-1 If a device or application expects to be able to place a call
   for help, the service provider that supports it MUST facilitate
   emergency calling.

   ED-2 Devices that create media sessions and exchange audio, video
   and/or text, and have the capability to establish sessions to a wide
   variety of addresses, and communicate over private IP networks or the
   Internet, SHOULD support emergency calls.

This is nice text and nice requirements.
Still, I believe it would improve the credibility of the document if
we acknowledge the fact that we aren't regulating the deployment.

Maybe we can soften these requirements a bit and write something like.

"
As end users are typically not aware of the details of the technology
they are using we below list the following high-level goals for the
implementation and deployment of emergency services functionality:

   ED-1 / SP-1 It is RECOMMENDED that a device or application supports
emergency calling if a
   user could reasonably expect to be able to place a call for help with
the device.
   It is therefore RECOMMENDED that devices that create media sessions
and exchange
   audio, video and/or text, and have the capability to establish
sessions to a wide
   variety of communication end points, and deliver data over private IP
networks or the
   Internet ,to support emergency calls.
"

The same is true for requirements listed below. In the past I suggested
to soften them a bit and to add references about current regulation.
One, however, has to acknowledge that these numbers are not applicable
to all juristictions.

6.2.2.  Access network "wire database" location information

 It is RECOMMENDED
   that interior location be provided when spaces exceed approximately
   650 square meters.

6.2.3.  End-system measured location information

   ED-16/INT-7 Devices MAY support end-system measured location.
   Uncertainty of less than 100 m with 95% confidence SHOULD be
   available for dispatch.

   ED-17/INT-8/AN-8 Devices that support endpoint measuring of location
   MUST have at least a coarse location capability (typically <1km
   accuracy when not location hiding) for routing of calls.  The
   location mechanism MAY be a service provided by the access network.

6.2.4.  Network-measured location information

   AN-9 Access networks MAY provide network-measured location
   determination.  Wireless access network which do not support network
   measured location MUST require that all devices connected to the
   network have end-system measured location.  Uncertainty of less than
   100 m with 95% confidence SHOULD be available for dispatch.

   AN-10 Access networks that provide network measured location MUST
   have at least a coarse location (typically <1km when not location
   hiding) capability at all times for routing of calls.

   AN-11 Access networks with range of <10 meters (e.g. personnal area
   networks such as Bluetooth MUST provide a location to mobile devices
   connected to them.  The location provided SHOULD be that of the
   access point location unless a more accurate mechanism is provided.