Re: [Edm] Thoughts on greasing mechanisms

Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Thu, 12 November 2020 19:07 UTC

From: Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 20:06:54 +0100
Cc: edm@iab.org, Martin Thomson <mt@lowentropy.net>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
To: Tommy Pauly <tpauly=40apple.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Edm] Thoughts on greasing mechanisms

Hm… I guess I have to say I’m not the biggest greasing “fan”. Greasing has proven a really useful mechanism, e.g. in the case of TLS to actually detect broken systems, however, I’m a bit sad that we need to build in the same hack into brand new protocols as it feels to me like a waste to reserve codepoints for that (as a German always looking for efficiency ;-) ). And what you propose maybe feels like you just add more bits to it. Maybe we need to consider better in protocol design that we not only make sure extension mechanisms are available but also frequently used and tested? Just a though…