Re: [Edm] Please review draft-iab-use-it-or-lose-it-01

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Fri, 16 July 2021 23:17 UTC

Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 01:17:31 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Martin Thomson <mt@lowentropy.net>
Cc: edm@iab.org
Subject: Re: [Edm] Please review draft-iab-use-it-or-lose-it-01

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 06:06:17PM +1000, Martin Thomson wrote:
> Just one note.  Throughout you mention authentication where the draft uses the word "cryptography".  My understanding of cryptography is that it encompasses a broad discipline that includes encryption and integrity protection and authentication and a bunch of related things.  Are you perhaps reading that word with the narrow meaning of "encryption"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptography
  "More generally, cryptography is about constructing and analyzing protocols
   that prevent third parties or the public from reading private messages"

So yes, i would very much appreciate if authentication without encryption
is explicitly mentioned as an option to limited arbitrary interaction
with a protocol:

"In particular, one of the consequences of an unencrypted protocol is that any element on path can
 interact with the protocol."

I don't think anyone would consider that a protocol with authentication
but without encryption is covered by that sentence. Likewise:

"Cryptography can be used to reduce the number of middlebox entities that can
 participate in a protocol or limit the extent of participation.  Using TLS or
 other cryptographic tools can therefore reduce the number of entities that can
 influence whether new features are usable."

With TLS-1.3 having removed null encryption, that text too is leading toward
only considering encryption.

Cheers
    Toerless