Re: [eman] Ben Campbell's Discuss on draft-ietf-eman-applicability-statement-10: (with DISCUSS)

"Ben Campbell" <ben@nostrum.com> Thu, 23 April 2015 03:03 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <tnadeau@lucidvision.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 22:03:12 -0500
Cc: eman-chairs@ietf.org, eman@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [eman] Ben Campbell's Discuss on draft-ietf-eman-applicability-statement-10: (with DISCUSS)

On 22 Apr 2015, at 17:20, Thomas D. Nadeau wrote:

>> On Apr 22, 2015:5:51 PM, at 5:51 PM, Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
>> wrote:

>>> The question is: can we rely on the security considerations of RFC
>>> 7326, RFC 7460, and RFC 7461?
>>> For example:
>>>
>>> In certain situations, energy and power monitoring can reveal
>>> sensitive information about individuals' activities and habits.
>>> Implementors of this specification should use appropriate privacy
>>> protections as discussed in Section 9 of RFC 6988 and monitoring of
>>> individuals and homes should only occur with proper authorization.
>>
>> It would help if the security considerations in the applicability
>> statement referenced those docs :-) Even so, references scoped to the
>> MIBs are not completely satisfying when the draft says it is equally
>> applicable to things like YANG and NETCONF.
>>
>> (By the way, it looks like the references to 7460 and 7461 elsewhere
>> in the draft still point to outdated drafts.)
>>

>>> Or asked differently: should an applicability statement document
>>> review and discuss the security considerations of each of the use
>>> cases mentioned?
>>
>> That would be nice--really, each use case may have different privacy
>> issues. But I agree with Stephen that it's kind of late to ask the WG
>> to analyze those.
>>
>> Would you consider adding something to the effect of the following to
>> the security considerations?
>>
>> NEW:
>>
>> " [RFC7460] section X and [RFC7461] section Y mention that power
>> monitoring and management MIBs may have certain privacy implications.
>> Applications of this spec that use other mechanisms (e.g. YANG) may
>> have similar implications, which are beyond this scope of this
>> document. There may be additional privacy considerations specific to
>> each use case; this document has not attempted to analyze these. “
>
> 	This is a (thankfully) simple, and reasonable approach. My only
> question is why are we mentioning Yang here? The WG only produced SNMP
> MIBs.

I suggested mentioning Yang here because section 1.1 mentioned that the
information model was equally applicable to non-SNMP approaches such as
YANG and NETCOMF. I'd be willing to entertain arguments that such things
are not really applications of this spec, i.e. I won't complain if you
drop that sentence.