Re: [Fwd: [EME] The virtual circuit trap mentioned in the EME charter - need for clarification]

Rémi Després <remi.despres@rd-iptech.com> Tue, 14 November 2006 10:25 UTC

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:15:11 +0100
From: Rémi Després <remi.despres@rd-iptech.com>
To: Tilman Wolf <wolf@ecs.umass.edu>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [EME] The virtual circuit trap mentioned in the EME charter - need for clarification]
Cc: EME group <eme@irtf.org>

Thanks.
Further comments below.
Rémi

Tilman Wolf wrote:
> Remi,
>
> I have to admit that I didn't write the charter. I have tried contacting
> Paul Francis a couple of days ago to see if he has any comments on your
> question, but I haven't heard from him, yet.

  I look forward to what Paul can add on the subject.

> The statement in the charter implies that virtual circuit approaches to
> handling middleboxes require coordination of all entities involved with
> a given circuit, which may limit the ability of a middlebox to make
> local decisions.
  In fact, virtual circuits (VCs) crossing composite point-to-point
links need no signaling with intermediate link boxes (e.g. two neighbor
VC-switches across an IEEE-802 MAC-layer can ignore MAC-layer switches).
  Also, an X.25 VC-switch can  reset its link(s) to any neighbor(s) at
any time. It is guaranteed that no VC thus cleared will ever reappear.
  In my understanding, a TCP session on a LAN-NAT-WAN-LAN path can
usefully be viewed as a VC, established along an EME path. On it, VC
label switching is performed on combinations of IP addresses and TCP/UDP
port numbers.

It may not be desirable to limit our scope to virtual
> circuits because we also want to consider off-path signaling, but
> clearly there will be some similarities in the signaling approach.
  IMHO, excluding the VC heritage would be counterproductive.
  VCs have been found inappropriate largely based on the end-to-end
argument. But the EME group raison d'etre is precisely to go beyond the
E2E paradigm.
  While the EME scope should clearly not be "limited to" on-path
signaling, it should not either "exclude" it, be it indirectly.
  In summary, I suggest that, unless a new explanation justifies it, the
negative sentence about VCs, as it is, should explicitly be made
ignorable (or better would be deleted if the chatter can be updated?).