RE: [EME] First cut at eme requirements

"Paul Francis" <francis@cs.cornell.edu> Tue, 05 December 2006 16:20 UTC

Subject: RE: [EME] First cut at eme requirements
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 11:20:16 -0500
From: Paul Francis <francis@cs.cornell.edu>
To: Mark Baugher <mbaugher@cisco.com>
Cc: eme <eme@irtf.org>

So I guess what is meant by "does not disrupt" is key here.  Clearly we want
a solution that doesn't completely disrupt communications when a middle box
crashes or paths change.  At a minimum, this means enough state at the end
systems that they can re-establish communications and, for instance, continue
a transport stream.  I took this minimum amount of robustness as a given, but
no harm in codifying it in the requirements doc.

But if by "does not disrupt" you really mean does not disrupt in any way
(i.e. a voice call continues with nary a glitch), then obviously more of a
challenge.  There are several levels at which we could try to achieve this:

1.  Design the protocols in such a way that we don't prevent the deployment
of redundant hot-failover, fast-reroute kinds of solutions in the
infrastructure, should one wish to deploy this way.
2.  Keep this kind of requirement in mind, and design for it to the extent
that it doesn't overly complicate the protocol, but otherwise be willing to
forgo strong non-disruption.
3.  Make strong non-disruption a hard requirement.

My feeling is that we should make a good effort to achieve 1 and 2, but stop
short of 3.

PF