Re: [EME] Is this IMS?

Scott W Brim <swb@employees.org> Mon, 02 July 2007 17:50 UTC

Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 13:49:32 -0400
From: Scott W Brim <swb@employees.org>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: [EME] Is this IMS?
Cc: eme@irtf.org

On 06/18/2007 15:23 PM, Hannes Tschofenig allegedly wrote:
> When I first read the document then I got the impression that all
> this stuff already exists. I thought that you are replicating the
> 3GPP IMS work (without referencing it). The only difference I saw
> was that backup paths were established but I wasn't quite sure
> whether this is a good idea anyway.
>
> So, what is the new idea about combining SIP (name-based routing)
> with path-coupled signaling?

To the extent I understand it, IMS is a single pass protocol.  There
are several assumptions there ...

  - The CSCFs (application layer control signaling intermediaries)
    have gathered the knowledge to determine the best path for the
    network-layer connection.  In NUTSS the two are loosely coupled,
    but in IMS allowed paths are restricted to the few that the policy
    boxes can keep track of.

  - All policy boxes mutually trust each other.  In the draft, policy
    boxes can be independent.

  - All policy boxes understand everything you are trying to do.  It
    is not a general-purpose signaling mechanism for all kinds of
    traffic, rather it is very specific to the services the IMS
    provides.

NATs and firewalls are not considered as far as I know, except at
domain boundaries where they might use B2BUAs.  If policy signaling
and data path are less tightly coupled, the need to tie application
layer intelligence into a forwarder (as well as routing intelligence
into a policy box) can be lessened.

Finally, the signaling in the draft can be used not only by a network
operator to control traffic over its infrastructure, but also by the
receiving client, in order to exercise finer control over how it deals
with incoming connection requests.

On 06/19/2007 03:13 AM, Hannes Tschofenig allegedly wrote:
> In IMS there is also the option to obtain authorization tokens via
> SIP signaling that are then put into RSVP messages and signaled to
> the middlebox.
> In NSIS we used the same concept (even the same token format) to
> authorize flows, as one option.

First, I am told that that was in IMS R6 but it's deprecated in R7
(now they use a "binding" mechanism instead of a "token" mechanism).
I don't really know what that means.

Second, regarding the scheme in general ... Yes but it's just one auth
token from a single PDF for a particular service in a particular
environment.  Suppose I need an auth token to punch a hole in a NAT
box, another to use a special interconnect for high bandwidth video,
another to demonstrate to the recipient that I am in his "friends"
list, and so on?  Different policies, different trust domains, even
different services.

>> NUTSS has broader goals.  First, it wants to apply to all data
>> flows, not just media.
>
> SIP is not only about the establishment of media traffic. You can
> setup any type of end-to-end communication.

Yes, with a little tweaking.  When I first heard about NUTSS I said to
Paul that if we used SIP we could call it "SIP as a Session Initiation
Protocol".  :-)

>> It wants to be able to steer packets through middleboxes not on the
>> path (as requested either by the ends or by the middle).
>
> You want to use something similar to source routing or QoS routing.
>
> While these type of things make sense for an operator to perform
> traffic engineering it does not make that much sense for an end
> host.

Do I want my traffic to go through the USA or Kyrghyzstan?  But I
think the main benefit of involving the session endpoints is that you
remove the need for linkage between p-boxes.

>>   It tries to encompass a wide range of topologies, including
>>   multi-homed to different domains (and including dealing with the
>>   assymetric paths that often result from this).
> You can accomplish this using other ways as well, such as ICE. ICE
> would allow you to find a working path between the two end points
> but does not require you to select the path it goes through the
> network. From a deployment point of view that's obviously much
> nicer.

Let's reserve comparison with ICE for the meeting in Chicago.

On 06/25/2007 08:48 AM, Hannes Tschofenig allegedly wrote:
>>   In particular, my understanding of
>> NSIS was that it is primarily an on-path approach.
> Well. The concept of path-coupled and path-decoupled is somewhat a
> philosophical question particularly when you consider that NSIS (and
> RSVP) need to interact with other protocols.

I don't understand how it's just philosophical.  Are you saying it
doesn't matter?