RE: [EME] EME charter

"Paul Francis" <francis@cs.cornell.edu> Tue, 14 November 2006 13:22 UTC

Subject: RE: [EME] EME charter
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:22:52 -0500
From: Paul Francis <francis@cs.cornell.edu>
To: Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU>, Saikat Guha <saikat@cs.cornell.edu>
Cc: eme@irtf.org

My take on recent threads:

1.  As Saikat said, EME different from midcom mainly in its involving both
endpoints as well as middleboxes.
2.  As Melinda said, EME different from NSIS in large part in that it deals
with higher level naming issues (in a sense, EME "off-path" signaling
mechanisms would occur before NSIS "on-path" mechanisms, though EME will
revisit on-path signaling in light of its off-path components).

3.  As for cooperating versus non-cooperating middleboxes...I'm very
reluctant to try to do something about non-cooperating middleboxes...I'm not
sure what we can do about them.  My hope is that many middleboxes don't want
to be transparent per se, but are so because there are no other deployment
options.  If the EME protocols are successful, the middleboxes would have a
way to become non-transparent, and I assume that many would do so.  Right
now, I'm thinking of middleboxes that refuse to cooperate as out of scope.

PF