[Emo-dir] Minutes of Education and Mentoring Directorate Meeting 31 May 2017

Mirjam Kuehne <mir@ripe.net> Sun, 04 June 2017 09:20 UTC

Return-Path: <mir@ripe.net>
X-Original-To: emo-dir@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: emo-dir@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 8F0E6127866 for <emo-dir@ietfa.amsl.com>; Sun, 4 Jun 2017 02:20:55 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.901
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.901 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, RP_MATCHES_RCVD=-0.001] autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([4.31.198.44]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id kPRZHvemJBZd for <emo-dir@ietfa.amsl.com>; Sun, 4 Jun 2017 02:20:54 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from molamola.ripe.net (molamola.ripe.net [IPv6:2001:67c:2e8:11::c100:1371]) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 8F1AA124BE8 for <emo-dir@ietf.org>; Sun, 4 Jun 2017 02:20:51 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from nene.ripe.net ([193.0.23.10]) by molamola.ripe.net with esmtps (TLSv1.2:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:256) (Exim 4.88) (envelope-from <mir@ripe.net>) id 1dHRiL-0000IF-Ar for emo-dir@ietf.org; Sun, 04 Jun 2017 11:20:50 +0200
Received: from sslvpn.ipv6.ripe.net ([2001:67c:2e8:9::c100:14e6] helo=220.193.028.145.hva.nl) by nene.ripe.net with esmtps (TLSv1.2:DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:128) (Exim 4.84_2) (envelope-from <mir@ripe.net>) id 1dHRiL-0006EH-5u for emo-dir@ietf.org; Sun, 04 Jun 2017 11:20:49 +0200
To: emo-dir@ietf.org
From: Mirjam Kuehne <mir@ripe.net>
Message-ID: <bd70fe87-f169-2d4c-b3a9-2c98e25aa135@ripe.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2017 11:20:50 +0200
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.1.1
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Content-Language: en-GB
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-ACL-Warn: Delaying message
X-RIPE-Spam-Level: -------
X-RIPE-Spam-Report: Spam Total Points: -7.5 points pts rule name description ---- ---------------------- ------------------------------------ -7.5 ALL_TRUSTED Passed through trusted hosts only via SMTP
X-RIPE-Signature: 7e0932718cf60c1d07d29cd25dae9274921982cdc4928ebf8dbdcc775e180048
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/emo-dir/7wjVM0A3BiEe0cvbpetzgK0fQFk>
Subject: [Emo-dir] Minutes of Education and Mentoring Directorate Meeting 31 May 2017
X-BeenThere: emo-dir@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.22
Precedence: list
List-Id: "Education, Mentoring & Outreach Directorate" <emo-dir.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/emo-dir>, <mailto:emo-dir-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/emo-dir/>
List-Post: <mailto:emo-dir@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:emo-dir-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/emo-dir>, <mailto:emo-dir-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2017 09:20:55 -0000

Hi all,

I am not sure who is currently subscribed to this list, please pass the
message on if you think someone is missing.

Kind regards,
Mirjam
=======

Edu and Mentoring Directorate Call 31 May 2017

Alia Atlas, Alexa Morris, Deborah Brungard, Greg Wood, Karen O’Donoghue,
Mirjam Kühne

1. Directorate Operations
===================

1.1 Mailing list
===========
The directorate mailing list has been set up: emo-dir@ietf.org


1.2. Work coordination:
===================
Currently we have multiple places where we currently store information:
- datatracker
- wiki
- google spreadsheet

What is the best way for us to coordinate our activities?

Greg suggested to follow one model other groups are using and that is
the datatracker for standard info like members, documents etc. and the
wiki for the actual scratchpad and ongoing coordination.

Everyone agrees that the workspace should be on the wiki. On the
datatracker, this directorate should now be under Directorates and not
under teams anymore.

Karen created a spreadsheet with ongoing activities and who is doing
what (project management).
Mirjam is wondering why we need a spreadsheet in addition to the wiki?
Others agree: we should keep everything on the wiki.  It also makes it
more transparent. And if we think this is getting to complex, at least
add a link to the spreadsheet so that everything is connected.

Everyone needs to be added to the education wiki so that we can all edit
the wiki.
Karen and Alexa will have have a meeting with Robert Sparks about the
datatracker and related issues. In the meantime Alexa will ask the Tools
team to have everyone added to the wiki.

Alexa wonders if the planning for the WG chairs lunch should live on the
Edu Team wiki or on the WG chairs wiki. Ultimately we want to encourage
WG chairs to drive the agenda and make suggestions. Alia suggests to
point from one to the other (even though the WG chairs wiki isn’t used
very actively).

Karen will add a section to the WG chairs wiki and will send a mail to
the WG chairs mailing list to make them aware of it.

Possible topics for next WG Chairs lunch:
1) Do WG Chairs want presentation laptops in session rooms?
2) Do WG Chairs want to experiment with 1-hour session slots?

Greg says we shouldn’t feel discouraged by having so much information in
different places. It’s a constant process.


3. Current Directorate Projects:
========================

3.1.Face-to-face tutorials for IETF 99:
Mirjam will double check if she sent survey results to speakers or only
to Edu Team
Mirjam will check if we need a local language newcomer tutorial in
Prague (didn’t do that the last two times)

Decided to do the following at IETF 99:
-  Newcomers, IRTF, DNSPRIV , IEEE 802.1 Time-Sensitive Networking
- GitHub (hold off until later)

Karen suggested we should develop another set of good technical tutorials

3.2. Mentoring and Newcomers
- Newcomers feedback session during the week (make sure it is on the
agenda); maybe Thursday before Bits& Bytes? Or some other time on
Thursday afternoon
- Edu and Mentoring Directorate breakfast meeting?

Working to improve the sign-up process for the speed-mentoring. There is
another call scheduled about this topic

3.3. Online Content and Document Maintenance
Greg suggested a way to archive some of the material and also how to
further maintain general information such as the TAO and other newcomers
info. Greg sent mail about this.
Karen suggests to find volunteers to help with that.

Remote Hubs initiatives:
There are a number of drafts being written by Alia and Nalini; will
coordinate offline.
Karen and Alia will set up a wiki for this activity.

We can start growing new things while moving the more mature activities
and make sure we don’t take on too much.

3.4. Assessment/Metrics
Karen spoke to Al Morton and asked him to help with that.
Karen is asking everyone to look at the survey results from IETF 98 and
also the overall IETF survey results when they become available and see
if that can be improved.

Before IETF 100 we need to think about what kind of resources
(volunteers) we need and how we will get these resources. We will need
to write short “job descriptions” and find volunteers.