[Emo-dir] Edu & Mentoring Directorate Meeting Minutes - 20 July 2017

Mirjam Kuehne <mir@ripe.net> Thu, 20 July 2017 09:01 UTC

Return-Path: <mir@ripe.net>
X-Original-To: emo-dir@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: emo-dir@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id E4919127735; Thu, 20 Jul 2017 02:01:41 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -6.901
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-6.901 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_HI=-5, RP_MATCHES_RCVD=-0.001] autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([4.31.198.44]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id Nu43HY-Lrkuz; Thu, 20 Jul 2017 02:01:40 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from molamola.ripe.net (molamola.ripe.net [IPv6:2001:67c:2e8:11::c100:1371]) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 8201C13157A; Thu, 20 Jul 2017 02:01:35 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from titi.ripe.net ([193.0.23.11]) by molamola.ripe.net with esmtps (TLSv1.2:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:256) (Exim 4.88) (envelope-from <mir@ripe.net>) id 1dY7Kv-00089Y-2E; Thu, 20 Jul 2017 11:01:34 +0200
Received: from sslvpn.ipv6.ripe.net ([2001:67c:2e8:9::c100:14e6] helo=dhcp-9309.meeting.ietf.org) by titi.ripe.net with esmtps (TLSv1.2:DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:128) (Exim 4.84_2) (envelope-from <mir@ripe.net>) id 1dY7Ku-0003DL-RM; Thu, 20 Jul 2017 11:01:32 +0200
To: "emo-dir@ietf.org" <emo-dir@ietf.org>, EDU Team <edu-team@ietf.org>
From: Mirjam Kuehne <mir@ripe.net>
Message-ID: <582dbfd9-a92e-0271-9786-176953bdee3b@ripe.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 11:01:32 +0200
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.2.1
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Content-Language: en-GB
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-ACL-Warn: Delaying message
X-RIPE-Spam-Level: -------
X-RIPE-Spam-Report: Spam Total Points: -7.5 points pts rule name description ---- ---------------------- ------------------------------------ -7.5 ALL_TRUSTED Passed through trusted hosts only via SMTP
X-RIPE-Signature: 7e0932718cf60c1d07d29cd25dae92746647d7e652ca2bd5fc90cddb71ec2307
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/emo-dir/DMJyZVTaW5jMT9uzdHsOw-9w2uY>
Subject: [Emo-dir] Edu & Mentoring Directorate Meeting Minutes - 20 July 2017
X-BeenThere: emo-dir@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.22
Precedence: list
List-Id: "Education, Mentoring & Outreach Directorate" <emo-dir.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/emo-dir>, <mailto:emo-dir-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/emo-dir/>
List-Post: <mailto:emo-dir@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:emo-dir-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/emo-dir>, <mailto:emo-dir-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 09:01:42 -0000

Hi,

Please see below some notes from our directorate meeting and the
newcomers feedback session this morning. Let me know if anything is
missing. We'll also post them to the wiki.

Kind regards,
Mirjam
======

Education and Mentoring Directorate Meeting
IETF 99, Thursday, 20 July

Greg, Deborah, Alia, Karen, Niels, Alexa, Mirjam

Draft Agenda:
Directorate operations (~5 min)
Edu Team status and update (~10 min)
Mentoring status and update (~10 min)
Outreach status and update (~10 min)
Analysis and Metrics (~5 min)
Prep for Newcomer’s Feedback session (15 min)
Break before Newcomer’s Feedback session (~5 min)
Newcomer’s Feedback Session (60 min)


1. Directorate operations

We have a mailing list <emo-dir@ietf.org>;
The directorate is up on the datatracker:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/emodir/about/
We will use the old Edu Team Wiki for the directorate work. It is open
to everybody: https://trac.ietf.org/trac/edu/wiki

ACTION: Niels Please add a link to the tutorials spreadsheet to the wiki
(under the Tutorial project)

Please everybody look at the wiki and see if and how we can better
organise things.

Directorate will send short update to the IESG at the end of each IETF
meeting.

Directorate will schedule a call sometime late August/early September.

There are three mailing lists/groups that organise the various projects
under the directorate:
- edu-team: Tutorials, WG Chairs, document maintenance
- mentoring-coordinator: mentoring
- vmeet: virtual meetings, remote hubs


2. Edu Team status and update

Alia suggested to talk to Adrian Farrel who had some ideas about an Edu
Track.

Possibly ask one of the areas to shephard tutorials for one IETF
meeting? (This might mean quite a bit of work though).

Deborah suggested to have more broad topics crossing multiple areas that
are relevant to the wider industry and community. Two possible topics:
IoT and end-to-end encryption

3. Mentoring status and update

There were 20 matches for mentors/mentees this time.

Mirjam was one of the mentors at the speed mentoring session and felt it
worked well this time with roughly the same number of mentors and
mentees and the sign-up before the meeting.

ACTION Nalini: Could you please get a list of mentors from the last few
meetings so we can find out what their experience is.

We might need some more guidelines for mentors: what is expected from
mentors. Suggested to add this info to the wiki and possibly also
include in the mail sent to the mentors prior to the meeting.

There used to be a mentor-discuss mailing list. Does this still exist?
Would this be useful for mentor to keep in touch and exchange experiences?

4. Prep for Newcomer’s Feedback session

Greg drafted a list of questions we could ask the newcomers. Karen
distributed it to the directorate list. More questions were added during
this meeting.

Discussion about organising an online feedback session after the meeting
and also a preparation meeting before the meeting. Maybe set up a
webinar for newcomers before the meeting. Could ISOC help with that?
ISOC is doing preparation for fellows (find out what this entails),
could they expand it to other newcomers?




Newcomers Feedback Session
--------------------------
About 20 newcomers attended. Great group of people. Most of them camae
very prepared and felt pretty comfortable being here.

People liked the app (maybe the floor plan is missing in one of the
versions?)

People would be interested in attending an online newcomers preparation
session prior to the meeting.

People liked the tools, because they are simple and almost everything is
a text file and you can easily read and use them.

Someone suggested to engage new remote participants more.