Re: [Emo-dir] [edu-team] Quick summary of highlights and next steps from IETF 100 for EDU related activities

Alexa Morris <amorris@amsl.com> Wed, 06 December 2017 20:18 UTC

From: Alexa Morris <amorris@amsl.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 12:21:17 -0800
Cc: IETF edu Team <edu-team@ietf.org>, "emo-dir@ietf.org" <emo-dir@ietf.org>
To: Karen O'Donoghue <odonoghue@isoc.org>
Subject: Re: [Emo-dir] [edu-team] Quick summary of highlights and next steps from IETF 100 for EDU related activities

Hi Everyone

Links to survey results (and some embedded survey comments) below:

1) Newcomers Orientation: https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-S7QTWSVS8/
- 15 respondents

A few comments:
- Add a little about the life cycles of standards track and informational RFC, and how the decision is made which track is chosen, by whom it is chosen, and when the decision is made.
- The presentation covered all the basic info for new attendees. Highly recommended for all fellows.
- I liked the humming demonstration
- I had already read / watched ahead of meeting, but it was good to get an on-site intro
- The presentation gives an overview of all the basics and tips on how to prepare yourself for taking and contributing the most during the meetings.

2) Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.3: https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-37PZDSVS8/

Comments:
- This needs promoting outside the IETF
- I did'nt understand "IANA Registry will include Recommended column".Please mail me the details at [email redacted]
- PFS deserves more time
- It is a taster. Those interested will follow up. [this was regarding tutorial length]
- Probably about right if there were more questions but there were mot many at all [also regarding tutorial length]
- Could get into a bit more detail on why 1.3 is more secure besides getting rid of too many cipher suites. Danced around the more controversial bits too much.

Specific suggestions for improvement:
- You could break up this topic into several levels -- a beginners tutorial (how does the protocol work) and maybe one that discusses "how does this version differ from the previous" (which is what this one seemed to be).
- You have shared the good side (Advantages) of TLS 1.3 and that is reasonable. Kindly share the details of disadvantages of TLS 1.3. List may include Impact of PFS on the decryption techniques in the data centers. Management of large numbers of Ephemeral keys Cost associated in the implementation Vs Security achieved. I may be asking too musch but please share the details at [email redacted]
- For the tutorials, it is not clear as to the expectations of the technical level of attendees. Perhaps a survey prior to IETF, asking if anyone with a non-technical background would be interested in learning about the "basics" of an area (such as TLS 1.3). If a high enough response is received (determined by EDU), a session could be held on a technology for "non-technical attendees".
- Fewer animations! The slides look like someone from Marketing did them (sorry, didn’t mean to be insulting).
- We have three more TLS sessions this week. Hopefully it gets covered there
- Further planned changes for final version, some current points of discussion.
- Wireshark Demo Docker Demo

3) WebRTC: https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-Y9YGLRVS8/

There were a couple of specific comments on technical content. In addition, a couple of responses indicated that the tutorial was more detailed than expected, e.g. “This was WAY more detailed than the TLS 1.3 tutorial. Might want to have a few keywords that say what kind of tutorial it is, or be more specific (eg WebRTC API overview vs WebRTC overview).”

4) Routing Area: https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-5P885RVS8/

Comments:
- I think that the material was pretty good. What I think will be interesting is to give the authors more time to give more details during the presentation.
- I feel that there should be links to websites for each working group, and a short roundup on what cool things are being discussed here in IETF100

-Alexa