Re: [Emu] Identities and draft-ietf-emu-tls-eap-types-03

Alan DeKok <aland@deployingradius.com> Fri, 30 July 2021 16:51 UTC

From: Alan DeKok <aland@deployingradius.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 12:50:43 -0400
Cc: EMU WG <emu@ietf.org>
To: Alan DeKok <aland@deployingradius.com>
Subject: Re: [Emu] Identities and draft-ietf-emu-tls-eap-types-03

  Based on comments from the meeting yesterday, I propose changing the last few paragraphs to this:

Implementations SHOULD NOT use inner identies which contain an NAI
realm.  The outer identity contains an NAI realm, which ensures that
the inner authentication method is routed to the correct destination.
As such, any NAI realm in the inner identity is usually redundant.

However, if the inner identity does contain an NAI realm, the inner
realm MUST be a subdomain of the outer realm.  The inner realm MUST
NOT be from a different realm than the outer realm.  There are very few
reasons for those realms to be different.

For example, if the outer realm is "@example.com", then the inner
identity could be "username", or "username@example.com", or
"username@students.example.com".  However, if the outer realm is
"@example.com", then the inner realm cannot be