RE: [Entmib] Entity MIB v3

"David B Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Tue, 30 November 2004 22:35 UTC

From: David B Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: j.schoenwaelder@iu-bremen.de
Subject: RE: [Entmib] Entity MIB v3
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:08:36 -0500
Cc: 'Margaret Wasserman' <margaret@thingmagic.com>, entmib@ietf.org, kaj@research.telcordia.com, 'Andy Bierman' <abierman@cisco.com>
Sender: entmib-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,

Sorry that I confuse you.

I don't have much knowledge of URIs, so if the namespace issue is
already resolved by URI standardization, that's an improvement over
the potential for conflict that I thought would exist. I should have
done my homework better.

I see both sides of the argument for entPhysicalUris. I feel
entPhysicalUris could be a useful object for some purposes, like
recalls and consistency with other NM interfaces, but, as currently
specified, I think that it is likely to be useful primarily for a
proprietary application interpreting the proprietary value of the
object, and to support a manual usage rather than a programmtic usage.
The proprietary nature of the semantics seriously limits it from being
a useful vendor-neutral standardized solution, and useful
vendor-neutral standards are what we should be trying to produce.

As part of the "MIB Police" at Enterasys, I always liked to ask "what
application will actually use this data?" If no vendor-neutral
application vendor is likely to actually interpret the data, maybe its
existence isn't justified. Are there application developers in this WG
that think having this data made available via an SNMP standard mib
module is really important? If not, maybe we would be better off
leaving it out; it can always be added in later via another mib
module.

Have we asked how many vendors have propietary mib modules defined for
this data? If many do, then maybe we have a case for standardizing the
object, but if so, I think we should standardize the content, not just
the container, and the current proposed object is under-specified.

To clarify my position - entPhysicalUris hasn't been sufficiently
justified or specified to be included in the entity mib; we should
eliminate it.

dbh

SDOs