Re: [Entmib] entPhysicalUris object wrap-up

Margaret Wasserman <margaret@thingmagic.com> Thu, 09 December 2004 13:36 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 08:23:55 -0500
To: Andy Bierman <abierman@cisco.com>
From: Margaret Wasserman <margaret@thingmagic.com>
Subject: Re: [Entmib] entPhysicalUris object wrap-up
Cc: entmib@ietf.org
Sender: entmib-bounces@ietf.org

Hi All,

>At 06:27 PM 12/8/2004, David T. Perkins wrote:
>>4) This issue has been discussed many times. As was pointed out
>>    by Kaj in an earlier message, the approach choosen was the
>>    best solution and was acceptable to all on the WG mailing
>>    list. I don't believe that it is fair to undo what was
>>    hammered out over a long period of time where:
>>    a) it was demonstrated that use of an
>>       "alternative identification" scheme was needed
>>       and provided value at little cost.
>>    b) the scheme was neutral
>>    c) the scheme provided support for multiple competing
>>       alternative identifications (limited only by the size
>>       of the object)
>>    d) the cost to support a "non implementation" was next
>>       to nothing
>
>I missed all this on the mailing list.
>I'll let the WG Chair decide, and I'll wait
>on any edits.

Kaj's document was never a WG document and, IMO, the Entity MIB WG
did not make any official decisions about these objects before we
decided to add them to the Entity MIB.  I know that a few people used
the Entity MIB mailing list to discuss Kaj's personal submission, and
I thought that was fine.  But, I didn't track the discussion closely
enough to have a mental record of it, and no official consensus calls
were made about it.

Personally, I agree with Andy that it is a bit lame to have an
undiscriminated, unformatted, loosely specified string in the middle
of this MIB.   How are applications supposed to know that this
contains?  Would it be possible to compare these strings?  Use them
as URLs?  Or do anything with them besides just display them on a
screen?

I am not actually religious about this, though.  So, if that's what
the WG thinks is the best way to represent this object, so be it.

Margaret