Re: REMINDER: [Entmib] WG Last Call: Entity State MIB

Subrahmanya Hegde <subrah@cisco.com> Sat, 07 February 2004 14:55 UTC

Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 06:52:26 -0800
From: Subrahmanya Hegde <subrah@cisco.com>
To: Margaret Wasserman <margaret@thingmagic.com>
CC: Sharon Chisholm <schishol@nortelnetworks.com>, entmib@ietf.org
Subject: Re: REMINDER: [Entmib] WG Last Call: Entity State MIB
Sender: entmib-admin@ietf.org

Hi

Following comments were sent on 1/11/2004: But it is not taken care in
the latest draft.
Hoping some one is carrying as part of Editorial fix
******
a Minor Suggestion:

Instead of having these OID definitions:

-- Notifications

  entStateTraps      OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { entityStateMIB 2 }
  entStateTrapPrefix OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { entStateTraps 0 }

We can have
entStateNotifs OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { entityStateMIB 0 }

and use 'entStateNotifs' in the corresponding NOTIFICATION-TYPE

Reason we would like to avoid name 'Traps' is: Latest RFCs refer them
as Notifications

Also, above OID tree structure will be inline with mib review guidelines
document:
draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines-02.txt

**** 1/11/2004 comment ends

2. Regarding TC Names:
I would like to see TC with prefix  (for example: EntityOperStatus,
EntityUsage state etc)

Reason(s) are :
  * It is obivious it is related to Entities
  * I don't think having a Generic TC 'OperState' automatically means it
can be used outside the context of  Entity. Reason being other MIBs
might need more than what is defined in this TC or most of them may not
be applicable in some cases

TC name from 'review guideline draft says"
**
- Names of TCs that are specific to the MIB module and names of
     SEQUENCE types that are used in conceptual table definitions should
     start with a prefix Xxx that is the same as xxx but with the
     initial letter changed to upper case.  OPT-IF-MIB uses the prefix
     OptIf on the names of TCs and SEQUENCE types.
***

3. As per the MIB convention : We should define a OID under
'entStateObjects'
  and use that in the xxxTable.
For example:
   entStateObjects OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { entityStateMIB 1}

add:
    entityState OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { entStateObjects 1}
use this 'entityState'(or whatever else makes sense) for entStateTable
in the mib

4. entStateConformance must be under { entityStateMIB 2}

3.  I think OID definition for 'entityStateGroups' is missing
it should be
  entStateGroups OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { entStateConformance 2}

Thanks
Subra