Re: [Entmib] #355: OSI State to Something New Spectrum

"Randy Presuhn" <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com> Thu, 25 March 2004 20:30 UTC

From: Randy Presuhn <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com>
To: entmib@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Entmib] #355: OSI State to Something New Spectrum
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:30:57 -0800
Sender: entmib-admin@ietf.org

Hi -

I think the difference here is in our understanding of "the ITU model".
It sounds like your understand it to mean *all* the stuff in X.731.
However, that's *not* how X.731 was meant to be used.   It provides
a core (Administrative/Usage/Operational states) of rather wide
applicability, and a bunch of other knobs and dials that an object
definer can use when appropriate.  I'm arguing to keep this thing
simple, i.e., not add anything (even from X.731) unless there is
a clear need for it.

So, if one were defining an object class using X.731, and only
operational state was meaningful, then objects of that class simply
wouldn't have administrative or usage states.  This maps well to
using the TCs in this MIB module.  From my perspective, this alone
would be useful.  When one has to do this in something
like the entity state table, it is not as nice.  The workaround of adding
additional "not applicable" values to the enumerations is ugly, but it's
the kind of ugliness we're accustomed to in the SNMP world.

Returning to your question: is having operational state worthwhile?
Absolutely, for the objects that need it.  Is having administrative state
worthwhile?  Same answer.  This is how X.731 was designed to be
used.

Randy