RE: REMINDER: [Entmib] WG Last Call: Entity State MIB

Andy Bierman <abierman@cisco.com> Mon, 09 February 2004 04:13 UTC

Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 20:07:59 -0800
To: Margaret Wasserman <margaret@thingmagic.com>
From: Andy Bierman <abierman@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: REMINDER: [Entmib] WG Last Call: Entity State MIB
Cc: Sharon Chisholm <schishol@nortelnetworks.com>, entmib@ietf.org
Sender: entmib-admin@ietf.org

At 02:56 PM 2/8/2004, Margaret Wasserman wrote:

>We originally considered doing the state/status extensions as
>part of the Entity MIB, and those first discussion did mention
>a single object.  However, by November 2002 we had a much more
>complex model and agreed that it would be better to do this as
>a separate MIB.
>
>We agreed to accept the Entity State MIB as a WG document before
>March 2003, and at that time it was at least as complex as it is
>now.  We've been working on this MIB for over a year, and I
>believe that it should take WG consensus to make a major
>change to it now.  Do others agree?
>
>In Minneapolis, the complexity of this MIB was raised as an issue.
>There was a general sense of the room that the MIB was too
>complex, but many people who were involved in earlier discussions,
>including the editor, weren't present.  When the discussion was
>brought to the mailing list, I did not see clear consensus that
>we need to reduce the complexity of the MIB.

I don't disagree with you about the WG consensus.
I'm not objecting to the MIB going forward.  But I wouldn't
be surprised if application developers end up writing
a complex function to convert an entStateEntry to
a simple LED-type enum for the entity.

>Sharon did try to address concerns about the complexity of this
>MIB in the latest version by simplifying and streamlining the
>description.
>
>So, where do we stand on this issue?

I'd say it's closed.
The WG doesn't think a simple operStatus type
of object is sufficient.

>Are there others who have read the current MIB and strongly
>believe that it needs to be simplified?  Or not?

I didn't ask for the MIB to be simplified.

>Margaret

Andy