RE: [Entmib] Comments on draft-ietf-entmib-state-02.txt

"Sharon Chisholm" <schishol@nortelnetworks.com> Tue, 13 January 2004 08:27 UTC

From: Sharon Chisholm <schishol@nortelnetworks.com>
To: entmib@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Entmib] Comments on draft-ietf-entmib-state-02.txt
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 03:22:12 -0500
Sender: entmib-admin@ietf.org

Hi

Thanks Keith for the detailed review. I have created issues 307-312 to
capture the individual issues you have raised.

Here's my initial thoughts on one of the items.

-----------------
307: 'notSupported' is semantically wrong

There are three issues here

1. The name 'notSupported'

A term like 'notReportable' might be more accurate. Depending on point
307-3, I could go either way.

2. Compliance of implementations that list all values as 'notSupported'

Interesting question. It was felt we needed this enumeration to cover the
case when certain status could not be reported. Otherwise you end up with
holes. I suppose we either allow the case where people just list
'notSupported' for all states for all entities, or we put something in the
compliance statement indicating that at least one state should have a value
other than 'notSupported'. Again, I could go either way.

3. Description in TC versus Object.

The intention is that these TCs could be used in other MIBs so we were
trying to not pollute them with any Entity specific concept. As a result,
there is quite a bit of description in objects themselves. That having been
said, moving text to each TC to the effect of "A value of 'notApplicable'
means that this resource is unable to report [this] state." This doesn't
really affect this MIB, but would make for better consistency across other
MIBs using these TCs.

Sharon