RE: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #327] AutoReply: More Editorial Issues

"Sharon Chisholm" <schishol@nortelnetworks.com> Fri, 13 February 2004 21:18 UTC

From: Sharon Chisholm <schishol@nortelnetworks.com>
To: entmib@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Entmib] FW: [psg.com #327] AutoReply: More Editorial Issues
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:15:10 -0500
Sender: entmib-admin@ietf.org

The following is the proposed resolution to entstate-327. The issue
will be considered closed pending the proposed edit being done.

[Note some of the finer bits of this text will be influenced by the
resolution to other problems]

1) Change the end of the abstract from

	"provide information about the state of the entity."

   to the following:

	"provide information about the state of physical entities."

2) In the description to StandbyStatus replace

"      providing service, but is will be immediately able to"

With

"      providing service, but it will be immediately able to"

3) Note that the resolution to issue #311 covers this

4) In the description of entStateAdmin replace

"The administrative state for this entity. A value
                of 'notSupported' means that this entity is unable
                to report administrative state. This object can not
                be administratively set to 'notSupported'. For
                entities that do not support administrative state,
                changing the value of this object to something other
                than 'notSupported' is not permitted.  A value of
                'inconsistentValue' will be returned in either case."

With

"The administrative state for this entity. A value
		  of 'notSupported' means that this entity is unable
                  to report administrative state.

		  Setting this object to 'notSupported' will result
		  in an 'inconsistentValue' error. For entities that
		  do not support administrative state, all set
		  operations will result in an 'inconsistentValue'
		  error.""

7) Replace

"
   entStateNotificationGroup NOTIFICATION-GROUP"

With

"
   entStateNotificationsGroup NOTIFICATION-GROUP
      "

Sharon

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 01:31:23PM -0500, Sharon Chisholm wrote:

> With
>
> "The administrative state for this entity. A value
>                 of 'notSupported' means that this entity is unable
>                 to report administrative state. This object can not
>                 be manually set to 'notSupported'. For
>                 entities that do not support administrative state,
>                 changing the value of this object to something other
>                 than 'notSupported' is not permitted.  A value of
>                 'inconsistentValue' will be returned in either case."

I still find the text confusing from a stylistic point of view. What about
this:

                 "The administrative state for this entity. A value
		  of 'notSupported' means that this entity is unable
                  to report administrative state.

		  Setting this object to 'notSupported' will result
		  in an 'inconsistentValue' error. For entities that
		  do not support administrative state, all set
		  operations will result in an 'inconsistentValue'
		  error."

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany