RE: [Entmib] Re: Entity mib support for tcif

"David T. Perkins" <dperkins@dsperkins.com> Thu, 15 April 2004 05:21 UTC

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:13:57 -0700
To: Kaj Tesink <kaj@research.telcordia.com>, entmib@ietf.org
From: "David T. Perkins" <dperkins@dsperkins.com>
Subject: RE: [Entmib] Re: Entity mib support for tcif
Sender: entmib-admin@ietf.org

HI,

Here is what I would do....
* I would just add the objects to the existing entity physical table,
    that is table entPhysicalTable. If this is not acceptable, then I
    would reluctantly create a table that augmented the entity
    physical table (not create a sparse augments).
* Here is the augmented table definition (which I would rather not
    have to create)

entPhysicalSupplTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX  SEQUENCE OF EntPhysicalSupplEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS  current
    DESCRIPTION
      "The table for supplementary objects to table entPhysicalTable."
    ::= { entityPhysical 2 } -- note, this comes after entPhysicalTable

entPhysicalSupplEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX  EntPhysicalSupplEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS  current
    DESCRIPTION
      "An entry in the entPhysicalSupplTable.  There is a one-to-one
      relationship with entries in table entPhysicalTable."
    AUGMENTS { entPhysicalEntry }
        ::= { entPhysicalSupplTable 1 }

EntPhysicalSupplEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    entPhysicalSupplManfactDate DateAndTimeOrZero,
    entPhysicalSupplAltTypes Utf8String
    }

entPhysicalSupplManfactDate  OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      DateAndTimeOrZero
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only  -- maybe this should be w/r like serial number
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
      "The manufacturing date for the physical entity, or 'zero'
      if the date is unknown or not appropriate."
    ::= { entSupplPhysicalEntry 1 }

entPhysicalSupplAltTypes OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Utf8String
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
          "A zero length string if the value is unknown or not
          appropriate; or one, or more pairs of tag and value
          which provide alternative identification of the entity
          in addition to the value of object entPhysicalVendorType.
          This object was added so that one or more industry
          sectors could add sector specific identification codes.
          It is expected that typically, at most a single sector
          identification code will be present. However, managers
          must cope with a list of tag-value pairs.
          The format of the value (when not a zero length string) is:
            <pair>[;<pair>]...
          where the format of <pair> is
            <id>:<value>
          where the values for <id> are short strings managed by IANA,
          and <value> follows the rules for an <id> definition,
          and may include any character other than ';'. The first
          defined <id> is 'CLEI', and when so, the values for
          <value> are 1 to 10 characters long as defined by
          TCIF-02-004, Guideline for data elements
          included in the Management Information Base,
          Telecommunications Industry Forum (TCIF), 09/11/2002.

          An example value is 'CLEI:ABCDEFGHIJ'"
    ::= { entSupplPhysicalEntry 2 }

Regards,
/david t. perkins