RE: REMINDER: [Entmib] WG Last Call: Entity State MIB

Andy Bierman <abierman@cisco.com> Fri, 06 February 2004 16:32 UTC

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 08:27:19 -0800
To: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
From: Andy Bierman <abierman@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: REMINDER: [Entmib] WG Last Call: Entity State MIB
Cc: 'Margaret Wasserman' <margaret@thingmagic.com>, entmib@ietf.org
Sender: entmib-admin@ietf.org

At 03:30 AM 2/6/2004, Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:
>> Given that this is a second WG Last Call for this document, that
>> several people reviewed it during the previous WG Last Call, and
>> that Sharon did a great job of maintaining an issue list and
>> documenting the resolution of each issue, I am planning to interpret
>> silence as agreement to send this document to the IESG.
>>
>I do not want to step on the toes of our WG chair, but yet...
>I would actually appreciate if the people who spoke up (a while ago)
>that the MIB was too complex, that they do state if they are now
>OK with this version!
>
>PLEASE PARTICIPATE and express your opinion.

okay, okay...

I do not approve of, or object to, the Entity State MIB
going forward.

My concerns are regarding the intent of the MIB -- the
actual problem being addressed.  So I looked to the
Entmib WG charter page for guidance.  This is all it
says about the Entity State MIB:

 Done    Publish state/status extensions as a WG I-D

 Mar 04  Submit Entity State MIB to the IESG for Proposed Standard

Not a word about the problem being addressed.

I thought we set out to add an 'operStatus' object for
physical entities -- a simple ( green, yellow, red )
status indicator.  Applications would still need to
know how to use other MIBs to diagnose or correct a fault.
IMO, there's not much value in a generic indicator beyond
this, so it's best to keep it simple.

 From the draft:

  "Objects are defined to capture administrative, operational and usage
   states. In addition there are further state objects defined to
   provide additional information for these three basic states."

The document clearly attempts to provide more functionality
than a simple 'operStatus' object.  The authors have done
a fine job defining and documenting this functionality.

In order to discuss how well a MIB addresses its intended
function, we have to agree on the intended function.

>Bert

Andy