Re: [Enum] Social ENUM / Patents and Intellectual Property

Lawrence Conroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk> Tue, 03 April 2012 08:00 UTC

From: Lawrence Conroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 09:00:47 +0100
To: Duane <duane@e164.org>
Cc: enum@ietf.org, eric@telesocial.com
Subject: Re: [Enum] Social ENUM / Patents and Intellectual Property

Hi Duane, Eric, folks,

 Hi Duane ... You too :).

----
All I'll say on this (apart from the exclusively personal "good luck") is -- There are many ways of doing this, and in many places in DNS.

Do you think Telnic might have thought of the kinds of info that people could want to publish **before** we went for the .tel CCTLD in 2004?
(and yes, there was an attempt in the earlier 2000 round, but that time the ITU stamped on all things vaguely related to telephony).
LJ was the coming star at that point -- how times change.

For some more RW examples ..
See <http://social.henri.tel> or dig social.henri.tel for NAPTR
(henri.tel is not a web site, it points at a proxy that digs and presents the content in a web response)

or dig instant-messaging.henri.tel for NAPTR, or ...

[Re. avoiding the standard process -- I feel your pain.
When we finally got around to registering IM, the blatantly obvious way to do this was overtaken by the cultish pres and im Enumservices, which sure convinced me that just doing it was easier than arguing. The real world intruded we have ugly NAPTRs in .tel; sigh]

BTW, speaking of different ways of doing this, see the ENUM FOAF stuff from 2006 for example.

SN records can be taken much further, but the privacy concerns are ridiculous, so it only works (with sane privacy) with proper encryption.
That's hard in DNS (unless one uses something like <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-timms-encrypt-naptr-01>, and publishes data for one's friends only, of course).
----

all the best,
  Lawrence