Re: [eppext] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-smd-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Fri, 04 March 2016 16:18 UTC

To: Gustavo Lozano <gustavo.lozano@icann.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 16:18:31 +0000
Cc: "draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-smd@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-smd@ietf.org>, "eppext-chairs@ietf.org" <eppext-chairs@ietf.org>, "eppext@ietf.org" <eppext@ietf.org>, "nkong@cnnic.cn" <nkong@cnnic.cn>
Subject: Re: [eppext] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-smd-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Gustavo,

Sorry for the slow response...

On 18/02/16 17:20, Gustavo Lozano wrote:
> Thank you for your review Stephen,
>
> Regarding the DISCUSS portion of your email:
>
> Short story: in the case of the gTLD space, the information regarding the
> PKI used for validating SMDs is defined here:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-func-spec-00 (sections:
> 4.1, 5.1.1.3, 5.1.2.3, 5.2.1, 5.2.2, 5.2.3.1, 5.2.3.2, 5.2.4, 5.2.5, 6.2,
> 6.4).

Sorry, but that is too short a story for me to grok it:-)

> Long story: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-smd-04 (SMD
> draft) was conceived as a draft defining a mapping of the common elements
> found in trademark data. The design goal is that the SMD draft
> specification could be used by any entity (e.g. ccTLDs, gTLDs, trademark
> validators <-> distribution channel) for mapping the tradermak data. The
> organizations using the digitally signed portion of the spec will need to
> define a PKI and the policy for that particular use-case scenario.

Right. The issue is what information about that PKI is needed in this
draft. Without any, all we end up knowing is that the signature bits
are ok, but nothing about their meaning. Now that could be a valid
approach to take, but you'd need to say so and why say what else is
needed to make an implementation of this usable.

I'm also puzzled that the func-spec draft you mention above, in
section 5.1.1.3, points to a specific root cert (presumably operated by
icann?). Presumably that means that the func-spec is specific to
what ICANN did and plan to do in future with gTLDs and the func-spec
is not meant to be something generic that can be used by e.g. ccTLDs?

> In the
> case of new gTLDs, the [ICANN-TMCH]
> (<http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/about/trademark-clearinghouse/rpm-requiremen
> ts-30sep13-en.pdf>) is the document (included by reference in the new gTLD
> contracts) defining the policy / technical requirements. The document
> [ICANN-TMCH] links to
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-func-spec-00

I didn't see any mention of that I-D in [ICANN-TMCH] - are we looking
at the right things?

> where the
> technical requirements are specified. For example, a ccTLD may use this
> spec with different policy / technical requirements, therefore
> [ICANN-TMCH] / draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-func-spec-00 is just how it was done
> in the gTLD space. I included [ICANN-TMCH] to provide the context for the
> creation of this spec, an as an example of how it was done for new gTLDs.

Right. The question is what information (about the PKI) is needed for
this to be usable in general.

Cheers,
S.