Re: [eppext] draft-ietf-eppext-keyrelay-00 Feedback

"Gould, James" <JGould@verisign.com> Wed, 09 July 2014 14:23 UTC

From: "Gould, James" <JGould@verisign.com>
To: Antoin Verschuren <antoin.verschuren@sidn.nl>, "eppext@ietf.org" <eppext@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 14:23:21 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.173.152.4]
Subject: Re: [eppext] draft-ietf-eppext-keyrelay-00 Feedback

Antoin,

There may be extensions that are proprietary (not standard) and not
specific to any one or a small set of TLD¹s.  Registries most likely have
built platforms that support a pluggable set of TLD¹s, where the
extensions are applicable to the platform (or set of platforms), and may
be used for most or all of the TLD¹s on the platform.  I believe most of
the extensions will be classified as ³Any² even if they are proprietary by
not going through the IETF process.  Actually, only a few have fully
followed the RFC process, some have been posted as IETF drafts, and many
more have been defined outside of the IETF.  EPP makes it easy to create
extensions to meet specific business needs that may not be applicable to a
large set of TLD¹s.  I don¹t view registering a proprietary extension as a
failure to meet market demand, but as a reality of meeting different
business models.  As a co-author of an EPP extension RFC, as a co-author
of an inflight EPP extension IETF draft, and as an author of many
proprietary EPP extensions, I understand the tradeoffs of meeting specific
business needs and collaborating with the community on a standard.  I
believe it is important for the proprietary extensions to get registered
into the extension registry, with an adequate amount of documentation, to
help identify overlap and open up the opportunity for consolidation.  The
Registry Operations Industry Alliance being discussed on the regops
mailing list may be a good place to help with the consolidation.

--

JG

James Gould
Principal Software Engineer