Re: [eppext] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-smd-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Gustavo Lozano <gustavo.lozano@icann.org> Thu, 18 February 2016 17:20 UTC

From: Gustavo Lozano <gustavo.lozano@icann.org>
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 17:20:20 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.0.35.2]
Cc: "draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-smd@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-smd@ietf.org>, "eppext-chairs@ietf.org" <eppext-chairs@ietf.org>, "eppext@ietf.org" <eppext@ietf.org>, "nkong@cnnic.cn" <nkong@cnnic.cn>
Subject: Re: [eppext] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-smd-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Thank you for your review Stephen,

Regarding the DISCUSS portion of your email:

Short story: in the case of the gTLD space, the information regarding the
PKI used for validating SMDs is defined here:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-func-spec-00 (sections:
4.1, 5.1.1.3, 5.1.2.3, 5.2.1, 5.2.2, 5.2.3.1, 5.2.3.2, 5.2.4, 5.2.5, 6.2,
6.4).

Long story: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-smd-04 (SMD
draft) was conceived as a draft defining a mapping of the common elements
found in trademark data. The design goal is that the SMD draft
specification could be used by any entity (e.g. ccTLDs, gTLDs, trademark
validators <-> distribution channel) for mapping the tradermak data. The
organizations using the digitally signed portion of the spec will need to
define a PKI and the policy for that particular use-case scenario. In the
case of new gTLDs, the [ICANN-TMCH]
(<http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/about/trademark-clearinghouse/rpm-requiremen
ts-30sep13-en.pdf>) is the document (included by reference in the new gTLD
contracts) defining the policy / technical requirements. The document
[ICANN-TMCH] links to
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-func-spec-00 where the
technical requirements are specified. For example, a ccTLD may use this
spec with different policy / technical requirements, therefore
[ICANN-TMCH] / draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-func-spec-00 is just how it was done
in the gTLD space. I included [ICANN-TMCH] to provide the context for the
creation of this spec, an as an example of how it was done for new gTLDs.

Regarding the COMMENT portion of your email:

- Please see the secdir review [1] which raises a number of
significant points (including the DISCUSS above) and which
hasn't as far as I've seen gotten a response (apologies if I
missed that).

   [1]
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/secdir/current/msg06248.html

Gustavo - I think that I resolved all the issues raised in [1] in version
04 of the draft.

- "precudle" nice:-)

Gustavo - I will fix this :).

Regards,