Re: [ESDS] Proposed Charter - update

Ali Rezafard <arezafar@ca.afilias.info> Thu, 31 July 2008 19:03 UTC

From: Ali Rezafard <arezafar@ca.afilias.info>
To: esds@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:03:29 -0400
Subject: Re: [ESDS] Proposed Charter - update
Sender: esds-bounces@ietf.org

Dear ESDS members,

We have had considerable progress on the Discovery Services protocol
discussions. I have summarized current status on some of the ESDS work
items and updated our charter. Our charter is modified to include
secure and restricted discovery for the broader Internet community.

Please review and comment.

Best Regards,
Ali Rezafard

ESDS Charter:
ESDS has been chartered to architect and define a protocol for Discovery
Services. Discovery Services at its core offers to authenticated and
authorized
users the means to discover sources of information for a particular
object.
Discovery Services can be implemented as a decentralized directory of
resources
indexed by a shared identifier. Discovery Services need to be
deployable in
both closed networks as well as open and global networks such as
Internet.

ESDS will develop interfaces for users of Discovery Services as well
as an
interface for peer-to-peer communication among Discovery Services.
ESDS will
develop interfaces for publishing data, submitting onetime queries, and
registering for standing queries.  ESDS should support utilization of
a trusted
external identity management service for Authentication. ESDS should
enable
configuration of Authorization and Access Control for publishing
clients.

Work item current status and summary:
1.Initial Conventions

     a) Define common vocabulary and terminology.
     http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/esds/current/msg00085.html
     http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/esds/current/msg00087.html

     b) Define core data sets for sharing on Discovery Service,
     There are two sets of core data fields, one for data being
published, and
     another for the data returned in response to a query.
     Publishing data fields:
         required data fields:
             URI object identifier (what)
             Publish timestamp (server timestamp)
             Service list of URLs (links)
             Event class (event type attributes, such as TTL)
             URI of event publisher (who)
         optional data fields:
             Lifecycle step (why)
             Event timestamp (client timestamp)
             Change in identifier (aggregation, disaggregation,
relabeling)
         example extensible data fields:
             Where (bizLocation)
             Transaction data (PO, AWB, Invoice)

     Query response data fields:
         required data fields:
             URI object identifier (what)
         optional data fields:
             Publish timestamp (server timestamp)
             Service list of URLs (links)
             Event class (event type attributes, such as TTL)
             URI of event publisher (who)
             Lifecycle step (why)
             Event timestamp (client timestamp)
             Change in identifier (aggregation, disaggregation,
relabeling)
         example extensible data fields:
             Where (bizLocation)
             Transaction data (PO,AWB,Invoice)

     c) Define handling for time zones.
     ESDS will only support UTC timestamps

     d) Define handling for Aggregation, Disaggregation, and
Relabeling events.
     These events are useful for expressing when it may be necessary
to track
     a different identifier in order to follow the same object.
     http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/esds/current/msg00101.html

     e) Define handling for Transaction events. These events would
associate (or
     disassociate) one or more object identifiers from the identifier of
     a business transaction or document.

2.Security

     a) Considerations for access control policies and their impact on
Work
     Items 3 and 4.

     b) Define security architecture and mechanisms for authorization,
     authentication , encryption (e.g. integrating security
certificates into
     the protocol vs. relying on a security layer such as SSL).
     http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/esds/current/msg00104.html

     c) Define a common interface and roles for access control
configuration
     (e.g. supply chain, partner, user).

     d) Define a mechanism for verifying digitally signed DS events
published.
     The challenge is that the DS may need to validate the signatures
for signed
     events it receives and log whether the data underlying a link was
from a
     verifiable signed source.  i.e. the DS should log and indicate
the presence
     of a verified signature in the query response (especially when it
does not
     pass the whole signed event record to the query client).

3.Publishing Interface

     a) Define mechanism for uniquely identifying objects in a scope
without
     requiring a global unique identifier for each and all objects
that enter a
     scope (e.g. supply chain).
     Closed deployments of DS can utilize internal numbering authority/
rule and
     to make the identifier globally unique prefix it with a
registered domain
     name.
     http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/esds/current/msg00114.html

     b) Define a protocol for advertising/publishing data resources
(Resource
     Discovery).

     c) Define a protocol and policy for retracting or voiding
published data.

     d) Define policies for updating stale and broken links (e.g. for
events
     with a long retention period, it is vital that links can be
updated, when
     required).
     Publisher profile described in BRIDGE's "High level design for
Discovery
     Services" will address this requirement:
     http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/esds/current/pdfuMVBqNwBjM.pdf

     e) Define a mechanism to enable linking Discovery Service servers
together
     (e.g. retrieving information about the entire lifecycle of a
product as it
     moves through various supply chains).
     a record that points to another DS (instead of an information
source) In
     this case, the query client application may choose to make a
separate query
     to the other DS, not necessarily involving any involvement of the
original
     DS (other than if DS1 is required to provide a federated trust
token to the
     client that it can present to DS2).

4.Query Interface

     a) Define a protocol for querying published data, supporting both
     one-time queries and standing queries (e.g. pull vs. push queries).

     b) Determine how aggregation and disaggregation events should be
handled
     including policies for access control and visibility of these
events (e.g.
     a pallet is broken down into boxes and each box has its own
destination
     supply chain and access policy).
     Refer to 1.d above.

     c) Determine if multilayer information visibility is required
(e.g. a query
     with limited access can be informed of the existence of
information for a
     particular object, but to view the actual information, full access
     privileges would be required. This has particular implications for
     peer-to-peer searching across multiple Discovery Services).

     d) Determine if Discovery Services should facilitate an access
negotiation
     process (e.g. a query client negotiates for access to information
from an
     organization in the situation where the information-providing
organization
     does not have an established business (trust) relationship with
the client
     and therefore chooses initially not to reveal its identity to the
client).

5.DS-DS Peer Communications Interface

     a) Define a protocol for inter-DS  querying.
         Initial draft of approach to DS federation
         1) Each DS holds an index of neighboring DSs (URLs) in its DS
federation.
         2) A propagating-query is sent to a DS.
         3) The DS forwards the propagating-query to DSs listed in its
index and
         waits for the replies. The DS also appends its DS index to the
         propagating-query, so that the same DS is not queried
multiple times.
         4) Each DS that receives the propagating-query will perform
step 3 on
         DSs which are not queried already.
         5) Each DS will review the propagating-query and decides
whether it is
         interested in volunteering to receive the actual query.
         6) Each DS will wait until a specified deadline is passed for
its
         federation neighbors to reply back.
         7) Once that period has passed, it will merge the received